ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR + i9-10900K Build

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I almost got my build with i9-9900K as @AudioGod knows but could not get the components due to lockdown. But as i9 10th generation is out and has 2 more cores and 4 more threads; I am going to get my build with i9-10900K, I have selected the following components already and please help me to finalize my build as I am gonna use it as video production workstation:

Motherboard: ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR

CPU: Intel 10900K

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 (hoping to max out to 128GB in the future)

GPU: AMD Radeon VII

Storage: 1x Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

Power Supply: CORSAIR RM850x 80+ Gold Certified

I am still not sure which AIO cooler to go for. I will definitely get 360mm Radiator for sure but not sure which one as @AudioGod told to get the AIO which does not need to be connected to the internal usb header on the motherboard. Because otherwise I will have to create a custom USB map to enable that internal header for AIO water cooler. I am looking into EK-AIO 360 D-RGB one and it seems I have the option not to connect to the internal usb header on the motherboard? I will really love your help to choose the best performance 360 AIO cooler that will work perfectly with my hackintosh build. Cheers!!

Edited by anannyo

Hey Buddy,

Go for a NZXT X73 or a Coolermaster 360 AIO

both will give you no trouble on the hackintosh side.

infact really the rule is just stay away from the Corsair range.

fun fact.....all aios come out of the one same factory in China. :thumbsup_anim:

You can also use a Corsair AIO if you want to and just don’t connect the usb to the board Unless you want to change the fan curves or colours in windows and then disconnect it again after that. Also there’s a patch you can also use to block it under macOS but personally I’m not a fan of that patch at all.

Remember that the cometlake desktop range has zero support via macOS yet but do not worry as you can still make it work using The fakecpu kext.

What you should do is once your ready to put together a EFI is jump over to this thread and the master of this world @MaLd0n will create a perfect EFI for you and dsdt Togo with it.

Edited by AudioGod
  • Thanks 1

Hey @AudioGod, thank you so much for you great suggestion as always. I will go for NZXT X73, really love the looks of it haha

Yeah, no native support in MacOS until iMac comes out later this year; but extra 2 cores and 4 threads are so tempting haha

I am gonna get the components, still market out though, and planning and get together the EFI following Opencore guide; and then will head over to your mentioned thread of @MaLd0n for help :D

Thanks a lot man, choosing the right components would be so difficult without your help; really appreciate :)

Edited by anannyo
  • Like 1

Hey @AudioGod, I will love your thoughts on the GPU that I should go for between this 2:

RADEON PRO W5700 vs RADEON VII

The price difference is only $100 between these 2 and I will use this build for video editing and rendering. I am leaning towards RADEON VII as it has 16GB HMB2 memory compared to 8 GB GDDR6 memory; and RADEON VII has 4096 Bit memory bus width compared to 256 Bit. I attached the memory difference screenshot for your reference; I would love to know your thoughts.

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 7.17.00 PM.png

7 minutes ago, anannyo said:

Hey @AudioGod, I will love your thoughts on the GPU that I should go for between this 2:

RADEON PRO W5700 vs RADEON VII

The price difference is only $100 between these 2 and I will use this build for video editing and rendering. I am leaning towards RADEON VII as it has 16GB HMB2 memory compared to 8 GB GDDR6 memory; and RADEON VII has 4096 Bit memory bus width compared to 256 Bit. I attached the memory difference screenshot for your reference; I would love to know your thoughts.

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 7.17.00 PM.png

Yup I agree with you there, if your doing video editing then the Radeon VII is your best choice. That or you wait until Big Navi is released but that might not be for a while. :thumbsup_anim:

• Thanks 1

Hey @AudioGod, I was going for 850W PSU but with the following configuration I am recommended to get 1000W by https://www.bequiet.com/en/psucalculator and 1100W by https://seasonic.com/wattage-calculator. I am really confused; I thought 850W would be enough even with future updates:

Motherboard: ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR

CPU: Intel 10900K

RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 (hoping to max out to 128GB in the future)

GPU: AMD Radeon VII

Storage: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe

2x SSD 4TB

2x HDD 4TB

Cooler: NZXT kraken x73 AIO

Others: Keyboard, Mouse, WI-FI With Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-Express, Thunderbolt card, etc.

What do you think? Which one should I get? And I should stay below 80% load level right?

Well there’s no bad in having more power then needed. The system will only draw what it needs so having headroom is only a good thing.

the 10900k alone can suck over 300w if there’s no power limits set on the board and most boards out of the box are set exactly that way to make them look better performance wise so yeah I can see 1000w plus being advised.

The Radeon VII pulls a lot of watts as well.

Edited by AudioGod
  • Thanks 1

By the way, I see your planning on getting the 970 EVO Plus NVMe Drives.

Fantastic choice of drive, I just fitted one to my hack today and rebooted Catalina and it’s very fast.

1 important thing is make sure the firmware is up to date on the drive via Samsung magician in windows because the older firmware causes panics and Catalina won’t boot.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Well there’s no bad in having more power then needed. The system will only draw what it needs so having headroom is only a good thing.

the 10900k alone can suck over 300w if there’s no power limits set on the board and most boards out of the box are set exactly that way to make them look better performance wise so yeah I can see 1000w plus being advised.

The Radeon VII pulls a lot of watts as well.

Ok thanks man, will get 1000W to 1200W, depending on the availability; the price difference is not that much between 1000W to 1200W anyway :P

13 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

By the way, I see your planning on getting the 970 EVO Plus NVMe Drives.

Fantastic choice of drive, I just fitted one to my hack today and rebooted Catalina and it’s very fast.

1 important thing is make sure the firmware is up to date on the drive via Samsung magician in windows because the older firmware causes panics and Catalina won’t boot.

Yeah, downloaded the firmware more than a month ago when was planning to build with i9-9900K :hysterical: Last time I saw multiple methods to update, one was using pendrive I believe. However, still will make sure to get a HDD with windows installation from a friend just incase ;)

Edited by anannyo
  • Like 1

Hey @AudioGod, good news and I got an idea :D AMD's Big Navi GPUs will arrive at the end of this year. So I think I will not buy Radeon VII now and will use on board graphics for now. ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR's Integrated Graphics should let me render for next 6 months; what do you say!!? After reading about the confirmation and the promises; I will be gutted if I spend $700 on Radeon VII and see the new one around the same price with better performance. I feel like to wait for the new one coming!!! :drool:

Hey @AudioGod, do you think I will be able to use full 128GB RAM with my ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR + i9-10900K Build? I will get 64GB at the moment, but I am gonna buy 32GB stick so that I can have 2 more DIMs to spare to upgrade in the future. I think even if I able to upgrade, I won't be able to use RAM more than 2933MHz speed. So should I buy 64GB RAM at 2933MHz? I will really love your help to sort out the confusion with RAM selection and the amount I should go it. I am really not being able to decide :unsure: