Macbook WHINES while cool - proper fan control solution?

4 posts in this topic

Guys, I’m toasted. You’re my last hope, as regular Apple-user forums seem to be too ignorant.

I've got A1398 2015 (2.8 Ghz, R9 370X, High Sierra). It illogically WHINES with fans which drives me nuts as I am a quietness-freak and feel a keen pain when it does so.

Idle temps - no less than 54. Usually 60-65 while light web-surfing.
First of all - the paste is fresh (genuine MX-4), fans and fins are clean, SMC and NVRAM reset numerous times. I undervolted with Volta to -60mv (the least value which is stable), disabled Turboboost and limited the TDP to 35 watts.

That took away at least ~20% of performance, from ~580CB points it dropped to ~500 while 640 is normal for a new machine. But didn’t help with noise much.

Behavior is really weird. A few runs of Cinbench CPU, temps are about 80C - it might be silent! Only on the third run it starts to rise to ~20-30% and usually stay there. Than two runs on the GPU and despite temperature is about 70C it kicks the fans right away to 40%! I stop it and about a minute more the fans are working hard, even when it's 60C already.

At the same time a simple editing in C1, simple curves adjustment - it goes full blast for another minute with no reason. No higher than 70C in peak, about 63 usually meanwhile. Watching YT on slightly above ~65C - 40% fanspin for no real reason. FB browsing - 20%+. Some more browsing - 55% on 65C with no reason.

I tried TG Pro, it allows to downspin the fans. I was happy, until I a MASSIVE THROTTLING became apparent on the second run of Cinebench CPU. It has weird nature - an enormous speed drop which will not go away even when I manually increase fan speed to the max. Only when I restart the program it recovers.

What I am curious about - I found a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XQNGNAwrLw) where a guy with exactly the same machine gets 38C with discrete GPU after repasting on idle. And much, much better temps overall. Despite Kryonaut is pretty much on par with MX-4, ~2C difference at most.

The only difference - I’ve got TS110 Transcend SSD, but it’s cool being no higher 50C. Booting from usb drive made no difference.

There are two problems: it’s apparently overheating despite it’s totally clean; it manages the fan speed inadequately - why the heck should it ramp up to 5000rpm on 75C?! Apple fans always stay silent as long as CPU isn’t melting yet!

I’m about to go crying. Please, suggest me a proper solution to tame this machine!