firmware issue with Legacy bios EFI capable

moris

7 posts in this topic

Hi!

I have a GA-EX58-ud3R rev1.6 bios FK, pretty old but seems UEFI capable.

I installed on a USB in UEFI only mode on ESP (before, I zapped boot sectors with Gdisk> expert> zap GPT and blank MBR).

here's the install log:

======================================================
Installing BootSectors/BootLoader

Stage 0 - Don't write any of boot0af, boot0md, boot0ss to /Volumes/usbUEFIClover
Stage 1 - Don't write any of boot1h2, boot1f32alt, boot1xalt to /Volumes/usbUEFIClover

=========== Clover EFI Installation Finish ===========

When I boot, clover is on r5117, EFI rev 2.10 firmware tianocore r4096. (Same result with my ssd, other Usb key, or if I boot on the key with no other disk, just to be shure its comming from this installer).

If I install, Legacy (with boot0af on mbr) on ESP, same rev 2.1...

Only when I install Legacy on root, I have EFI 2.7 last firmware.

My guess is that when gigabyte introduced >2To capability in bios FJ, they used ESP boot capability with the tianocore firmware. What do you think?

I would like to be able to boot on ESP, in order to leave the system partition clean and benefit from the last firmware abilities (graphics refresh is another world in 2.7).

We explored multiple tracks with Pene (thanks again), but I didn't find any solution and found some users with the same issue, without any solution, yet.

regards

Nico

ps:

mac-pro-1:~ studio$ cd /Volumes/EFI

mac-pro-1:EFI studio$ ls -lA

total 3

drwxrwxrwx  1 studio  staff  512 13 mai 14:16 .Spotlight-V100

drwxrwxrwx  1 studio  staff  512 13 mai 14:42 .fseventsd

drwxrwxrwx  1 studio  staff  512 13 mai 14:42 EFI

mac-pro-1:EFI studio$

mac-pro-1:EFI studio$ cd /Volumes/usbUEFIClover

mac-pro-1:usbUEFIClover studio$ ls -lA

total 24

-rw-r--r--@ 1 studio  staff  8196 13 mai 15:01 .DS_Store

drwxr-xr-x  2 studio  staff    68 13 mai 14:21 .PKInstallSandboxManager

drwx------  5 studio  staff   170 13 mai 14:12 .Spotlight-V100

drwx------  5 studio  staff   170 13 mai 14:27 .fseventsd

drwxr-xr-x  2 studio  staff    68 13 mai 14:16 EFI-Backups

drwxr-xr-x  4 studio  staff   136 13 mai 14:18 Library

drwxr-xr-x  3 studio  staff   102 12 mai 06:31 usr

mac-pro-1:usbUEFIClover studio$

Not really a problem, I m scratching the surface and exploring possibilities.
I m just trying to understand why I have a different firmware loading. Is it relative to my bios, or to the clover installer?
Btw thanks a lot for all the work you do for us!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Not really a problem, I m scratching the surface and exploring possibilities.
I m just trying to understand why I have a different firmware loading. Is it relative to my bios, or to the clover installer?
Btw thanks a lot for all the work you do for us!

Cool, so I don’t understand why I boot 2.1 installing UEFI mode only on ESP. With same settings, I can see a big difference between 2.1 and 2.7. If I change resolution on 2.1 it takes seconds for example and in 2.7 it’s almost instant. 2.7 is quicker to load too. I was trying to benefit from it and keeping my system partition free from extra files. That’s why I’m trying to have last firmware AND ESP installation.

Cool, so I don’t understand why I boot 2.1 installing UEFI mode only on ESP. With same settings, I can see a big difference between 2.1 and 2.7. If I change resolution on 2.1 it takes seconds for example and in 2.7 it’s almost instant. 2.7 is quicker to load too. I was trying to benefit from it and keeping my system partition free from extra files. That’s why I’m trying to have last firmware AND ESP installation.

Yes I could, if somebody who knows well what firmwares are installed by clover could confirm that I have a chance to install 2.7 instead of 2.1. Maybe you? Don’t want to bother.
I mean all users installing last clover with UEFI get last firmware.
My question is: is 2.1 part of your installer? That would be an answer for others in the same case.
Best regards
Nico

Edited by moris