Catalina crashes during boot up using IGPU/IGFX on Z370

PliSsK

9 posts in this topic

My Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 based computer runs both Catalina and Win 10 fine using the Gigabyte Aorus RX570 4G GPU (no problems with HDMI but sometimes get blank screen during POST and OS booting with DP which I think is buggy BIOS related). However, if I try to use IGPU/IGFX, whilst it boots up fine in Win 10, it crashes during boot up in Catalina, freezing before the log in screen appears. When using IGFX, I have the following settings in BIOS: iGPU specified in Peripherals, and internal graphics set to auto. Same result using HDMI and DP. I have the latest versions of Whatevergreen and Lilu kexts and Clover installed. I hunted around but was unable to find anything relevant or understandable. It used to work back in 2017 when I first built the machine so it might be BIOS update related, although it might also be an issue with some of the later versions of the kexts. I will try to experiment with BIOS downgrades in the interim. I don't need to use the IGFX but I want to be able to use it as a back up and for trouble shooting if I have issues with either the display or the GPU. TIA.

Edited by PliSsK
BIOS problem?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 4:06 PM, Slice said:

You have to provide your specific information and provide some logs. DarwinDumper will be the best helper.

Thanks Slice! What information did you need from DarwinDumper? I assume you want the relevant entries from the Console system.log? I have tried going back to the first version of the BIOS came that the motherboard came with and it made no difference. I have also tried it with Mojave and High Sierra (High Sierra was the first OS I installed on NVMe drive whilst testing the IGPU). No difference. I updated the NVMe drives in December, but it wasn't working with IGPU before that anyway. I did notice that the OS X installer USB boots up ok using IGPU, using the same Clover EFI partition as the OSes above.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I tidied up my clover folder and removed conflicting or unnecessary drivers and kexts but so far so difference. I tried the original clover EFI folder from Hackintosher that I used to build the original 10.13.1 (?) system but it caused an during POST ('Xarray:: ElementAt l(xsize) operator []: index > m_lenA fatal error happened system halted') where upon rebooting my computer froze every second or two in BIOS and in Linux and wouldn't boot OS X at even with my back up copy of Clover, but after leaving it off for an hour it was ok again. 

Sep  2 16:57:46 localhost bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1599062266 0

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost syslogd[38]: Configuration Notice:

ASL Module "com.apple.cdscheduler" claims selected messages.

Those messages may not appear in standard system log files or in the ASL database.

ASL Module "com.apple.install" claims selected messages.

Those messages may not appear in standard system log files or in the ASL database.

ASL Module "com.apple.family.asl" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.callhistory.asl.conf" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.contacts.ContactsUICore" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.authd" sharing output destination "/var/log/asl" with ASL Module "com.apple.asl".

Output parameters from ASL Module "com.apple.asl" override any specified in ASL Module "com.apple.authd".

ASL Module "com.apple.authd" sharing output destination "/var/log/system.log" with ASL Module "com.apple.asl".

Output parameters from ASL Module "com.apple.asl" override any specified in ASL Module "com.apple.authd".

ASL Module "com.apple.authd" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.eventmonitor" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.mail" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.coreaudio" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.performance" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.iokit.power" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.contacts.ContactsAutocomplete" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.mkb" sharing output destination "/private/var/log/keybagd.log" with ASL Module "com.apple.mkb.internal".

Output parameters from ASL Module "com.apple.mkb.internal" override any specified in ASL Module "com.apple.mkb".

ASL Module "com.apple.mkb" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.AddressBookLegacy" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.MessageTracer" claims selected messages.

ASL Module "com.apple.networking.boringssl" sharing output destination "/Library/Logs/CrashReporter" with ASL Module "com.apple.networking.networkextension".

Output parameters from ASL Module "com.apple.networking.networkextension" override any specified in ASL Module "com.apple.networking.boringssl".

ASL Module "com.avira.antivirus.asl" claims selected messages.

Sep  2 16:58:09 --- last message repeated 17 times ---

ASL Module "com.apple.clouddocs" claims selected messages.

Sep  2 16:58:08 localhost com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Early boot complete. Continuing system boot.

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.cmio.AVCAssistant): ThrottleInterval set to zero. You're not that important. Ignoring.

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.system): com.apple.CoreRAID (lint): The HideUntilCheckIn property is an architectural performance issue. Please transition away from it.

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.diskmanagementd): ThrottleInterval set to zero. You're not that important. Ignoring.

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.diskmanagementd): The TimeOut key is no longer respected. It never did anything anyway.

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.syslogd): The HopefullyExitsLast key is no longer respected. Please remove it.

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.syslogd): Please switch away from OnDemand to KeepAlive.

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.opendirectoryd): Unknown key for Boolean: BeginTransactionAtShutdown

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.system): com.apple.opendirectoryd (lint): The HideUntilCheckIn property is an architectural performance issue. Please transition away from it.

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.opendirectoryd): This service is defined to be constantly running and is inherently inefficient.

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mobile.keybagd): This key does not do anything: OnDemand

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd): Service has increased maximum shutdown time to 65 seconds. This will create a poor experience for the user.

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.applefileutil): Unknown key for Boolean: RunOnlyOnce

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost Installer Progress[69]: Progress UI App Starting

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost syslogd[38]: ASL Sender Statistics

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost xpcproxy[81]: libcoreservices: _dirhelper_userdir: 529: bootstrap_look_up returned (ipc/send) invalid destination port

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost xpcproxy[96]: libcoreservices: _dirhelper_userdir: 529: bootstrap_look_up returned (ipc/send) invalid destination port

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost xpcproxy[67]: libcoreservices: _dirhelper_userdir: 529: bootstrap_look_up returned (ipc/send) invalid destination port

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost xpcproxy[103]: libcoreservices: _dirhelper_userdir: 529: bootstrap_look_up returned (ipc/send) invalid destination port

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost syspolicyd[176]: objc[176]: Class AKELData is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemPolicy.framework/Versions/A/SystemPolicy (0x7fff90e4e520) and /usr/libexec/syspolicyd (0x10f4aece8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Sep  2 16:58:09 localhost syspolicyd[176]: objc[176]: Class SPExecutionHistoryItem is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemPolicy.framework/Versions/A/SystemPolicy (0x7fff90e4e3e0) and /usr/libexec/syspolicyd (0x10f4af0a8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Sep  2 16:58:10 localhost systemstats[51]: assertion failed: 18G6020: systemstats + 184189 [40E59F12-7885-33A9-913A-6EA5B24AC9AC]: 0x0

Sep  2 16:58:19 localhost com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.system): Service "com.apple.ManagedClient.startup" tried to register for endpoint "com.apple.ManagedClient.agent" already registered by owner: com.apple.ManagedClient

Sep  2 16:58:19 Plissks-iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.202): com.apple.pluginkit.pkd (lint): Service sets EnableTransactions=false and EnablePressuredExit=true, which makes no sense. Enabling Transactions.

Sep  2 16:58:19 Plissks-iMac-Pro logd[57]: _logd_remote_start_service: listener activated for com.apple.logd.remote-daemon

Sep  2 16:58:19 Plissks-iMac-Pro xpcproxy[188]: libcoreservices: _dirhelper_userdir: 529: bootstrap_look_up returned (ipc/send) invalid destination port

Sep  2 16:58:20 Plissks-iMac-Pro launchd[1]: BUG in libdispatch client: mach_recv, monitored resource vanished before the source cancel handler was invoked { 0x7fc1b2d21730[source], ident: 137731 / 0x21a03, handler: 0x103025462 }

Sep  2 16:58:20 Plissks-iMac-Pro mds[66]: objc[66]: Class MDSObjectToken is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SpotlightServerKit.framework/Versions/A/SpotlightServerKit (0x7fff90be4de0) and /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mds (0x10c6a1080). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Sep  2 16:58:20 Plissks-iMac-Pro mds[66]: objc[66]: Class MDSToken is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SpotlightServerKit.framework/Versions/A/SpotlightServerKit (0x7fff90be4d90) and /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mds (0x10c6a15d0). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Sep  2 16:58:20 Plissks-iMac-Pro mds[66]: objc[66]: Class MDSReadCopyUpdate is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SpotlightServerKit.framework/Versions/A/SpotlightServerKit (0x7fff90be4e30) and /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mds (0x10c6a2160). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Sep  2 16:58:20 Plissks-iMac-Pro mds[66]: objc[66]: Class MDSInternalToken is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SpotlightServerKit.framework/Versions/A/SpotlightServerKit (0x7fff90be4d40) and /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mds (0x10c6a3240). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Sep  2 16:58:21 Plissks-iMac-Pro systemstats[51]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: dispatch source activated with no event handler set; set a breakpoint on _dispatch_bug_deprecated to debug

Sep  2 16:58:21 Plissks-iMac-Pro dbcleaner[60]: [31m[ERROR]2020-09-02 16:58:21: 89ea9a77-37c2-4af6-9805-a6b493465509:38 Client <-> BackendServices communication failed: 'No such file or directory'[0m

Sep  2 16:58:21 Plissks-iMac-Pro dbcleaner[60]: [31m[ERROR]2020-09-02 16:58:21: 292fae33-e296-41a4-85cd-4c0fc5d14043:46 caught exception:connect() failed[0m

Sep  2 16:58:21 Plissks-iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.avira.antivirus.dbcleaner[60]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

Sep  2 16:58:21 Plissks-iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.89): com.apple.pluginkit.pkd (lint): Service sets EnableTransactions=false and EnablePressuredExit=true, which makes no sense. Enabling Transactions.

Sep  2 16:58:22 Plissks-iMac-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.0): com.apple.package-script-service (lint): JoinExistingSession is only available to Application services.

Sep  2 16:58:22 Plissks-iMac-Pro xpcproxy[268]: libcoreservices: _dirhelper_userdir: 529: bootstrap_look_up returned (ipc/send) invalid destination port

Sep  2 16:58:24 Plissks-iMac-Pro xpcproxy[276]: libcoreservices: _dirhelper_userdir: 529: bootstrap_look_up returned (ipc/send) invalid destination port

Sep  2 16:58:24 Plissks-iMac-Pro timed[79]: settimeofday({0x5f4fc120,0x91da8}) == 0

Edited by PliSsK
what I tried

When booting up from iGPU I get the error 'Graphics driver failed to load: could not register with Framebuffer driver'. I suspect the problem is either with the boot arguments or the ig-platform-id but that's just an ignorant guess.

UEFI Drivers:

ApfsDriverLoader.efi

DataHubDxe.efi

Fat.efi

FSInject.efi

HFSPlus.efi

OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi

PartitionDxe.efi

VirtualSmc.efi

Kexts:

AppleALC.kext

AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext

EFICheckDisabler.kext

Lilu.kext

SMCProcessor.kext

SMCSuperIO.kext

USBInjectAll.kext

VirtualSMC.kext

WhateverGreen.kext

Boot Arguments:

-shikigva (get rid of this now that we're using Whatevergreen not Shiki?)

dart=0

shikigva=32

shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94

Devices / Add Properties:

IntelGFX - / AAPL,GfxYTile / 0AAAAA00

Graphics:

ig-platform-id: 0x59120003 (changing it back to 0x causes kernel panic)

Inject Intel

Rt Variables:

Product Name: iMac18,3

Serial Number: C02TH5KUJ1GJ

SmUUID: N/A

MLB: C02713501OPF117CB

ROM: UseMacAddr0

Spoiler

2020-09-09_17-02-25.png

Spoiler

2020-09-09_17-02-41.png

Spoiler

2020-09-09_17-06-25.png

Spoiler

2020-09-09_17-07-17.png

Spoiler

Untitled.png

7 hours ago, Hervé said:

A zipped copy of the EFI folder maybe rather than partial bribes of the setup? Especially given that settings such as CPU power power management or device properties injection appear quite incorrect and/or irrelevant (eg: table drops, Generate C-States/P-Sates, AICPUPM patch)...

Hi Hervé, you should have seen the list of kexts, drivers and patches before! I tried updating the SMBIOS info with iMac19,1 just now but probably didn't enter the correct data for the other fields. Here is a copy of the EFI as it was when I made the previous post. Thanks very much in advance!

EFI.zip

Edited by PliSsK
forgot the EFI

6 hours ago, Hervé said:

Try the revised config. Copy it next to your current one and call it from the Clover main menu through Options->Configs. I've removed those shiki boot parameters you were using + the incorrect CPU PM settings + the enabling of the nVidia Web Driver (!) and changed SMBIOS to iMac19,x + injected ig-platform-id.

revised_config.plist

Your boot issue is graphics-related so, if that config still does not allow you to boot successfully, look up existing threads about Coffee Lake UHD630 graphics and grap the graphics property injection for experimentation.

Hi Hervé, thank you so much for your help. It works with IGPU now! The only minor hiccup was ethernet not working but I used Kext Utility on all the kexts and it fixed it (not used it before). It also fixed the IntelMausiEthernet.kext which wasn't working before (which is why I removed it). I had the shiki boot parameters in there as the Preview in Mojave wasn't working without them but now it is ok. lol I spotted that the nVidia option was ticked but decided to post the EFI as it was to match the screenshots, not that unticking it made any difference to my old config file anyway as it was too much of a basket case already. I would have been totally lost trying to fix this myself so I can't thank you enough for your time and effort! Total star. Cheers.

Edited by PliSsK

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a minor issue with Catalina, connected to IGPU, in the Energy Saver settings, with Turn Display Off After x minutes, the display turns off but the computer seems to freeze and I cannot get Catalina back, the display remains black. This doesn't happen with the RX570. I cured the problem by setting the above feature to 'never'. Is this a known quirk of Catalina with IGPU? Not a major issue as I only wanted the IGPU as a back up and for testing the DP issues and HDMI issues I've been having to see if the GPU is the problem. Cheers.

Edited by PliSsK