Steinberg UR44C USB Audio interface not handling multiple Audio sources at the same time.

canstoptherokk

24 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm hoping for @AudioGod to see this, as it seems you have a lot of experience with hackintosh and Pro Audio.

I am coming to you with a cry for help, i hope this is the correct format.

Ever since i upgraded to Catalina, my Steinberg UR44C Audio interface seems to only be able to handle one

single Audio Source.

So, as soon as i start Cubase, i can't preview any mp3 files through finder anymore, or any other audio source like youtube on the browser or anything. everything plays, but there is no sound. 

As soon as i close Cubase, it works again.

I was wondering if this might be a issue you have also had and you may have an advice for me.

I never really got the UR44C in usb 3.0  working with the new catalina, but i'm running it in usb 2.0 mode, and at least it works in the way i described above.

My Hardware:
Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi

I9-9900k

Steinberg UR44C

I have also attached my clover config for more info on my configuration.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Thorsten

Edited by canstoptherokk

Hey Buddy,

Sorry I’ve been a busy bee for the last few days.

your in luck as I have UR44C sitting in the office so il grab it before I go home and plug it into my hack and see what’s going on.

ive looked through your config.plist and see your using a dsdt free EFI.

looking at your setup my EFI should suit your setup down to the ground.

do me a favour and send me your full EFI and I will adapt it and make you a new one with a DSDT for your board and give you full native nvram and native USB and let’s see if that cures the problem for you as I have a feeling it will. :thumbsup_anim:

• Thanks 1

Hi, 
Oh man, that would be so awesome. Thank you very much, that is very kind of you!

I'm not sure what the dsdt means :)

i've attached my complete efi folder. i've deleted the clover/themes and the APPLE folder to stay under 10mb for the upload. i hope thats ok.

Thank you! :)

= Thorsten

Edited by canstoptherokk

58 minutes ago, canstoptherokk said:

Hi, 
Oh man, that would be so awesome. Thank you very much, that is very kind of you!

I'm not sure what the dsdt means :)

i've attached my complete efi folder. i've deleted the clover/themes and the APPLE folder to stay under 10mb for the upload. i hope thats ok.

Thank you! :)

= Thorsten

EFI-cstr.zip

Perfect bud, 

il check it out later and adjust it and send it back.

by the way I tested out a ur44c on my build and didn’t get any of the behaviour that your finding so let’s try me making you a new EFI and see how you get on from there.

I’m at work now but il sort it out tonight or tomorrow for you :) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Perfect bud, 

il check it out later and adjust it and send it back.

by the way I tested out a ur44c on my build and didn’t get any of the behaviour that your finding so let’s try me making you a new EFI and see how you get on from there.

I’m at work now but il sort it out tonight or tomorrow for you :) 

Oh great. thank you so much!

Yeah, i'm not really sure whats going on. at some point i got it to work with USB3, which means that in the Yamaha Steinberg Control Panel, i could select the '3.1 Superspeed' option.

But with that the dspMixFx App didn't recognize the device, so i couldn't use that to mute the input channels direct routing to the output.

so i went back to the usb2, which makes it at least work the way i described, and the dspMixFx app recognizes the Device.

(also the dspMixFx_Remote App now recognizes it. not that i use it, but its a way to see if its working, as when it works, the icon of the app has litttle yellow arrows instead of grey ones :)

thank you!!

18 minutes ago, canstoptherokk said:

Hi @AudioGod,

Did you get a chance to have a look at this? 

not trying to be pushy, just maybe you forgot about it, as i'm sure you have a hell of a workload :)

thanks,

= T.

Sorry bro, I’ve been so busy that I totally forgot. Thanks for reminding me and I will look at it today without fail.

@canstoptherokk Here you go, Its radically different to your personal EFI so dont be alarmed by how much less there is too it then your one.

I had the correct DSDT compiled already for your motherboard so I made you a EFI from scratch.

All your details have been entered for you so it should be just a case of drag and drop it in and away you go.

Im guessing your using the IGPU on its own but if your not and your using a Vega GPU its all setup for that or a NAVI Gpu aswell (add the boot argument agdpmod=pikera if using a Navi GPU) or if your using a Polaris GPU then let me know and il alter the EFI for that.

Ive also given you full usb capabilitys on all ports with no port limits while keeping it all native.

make sure you update to the latest bios revision of your board (F12D)

Use a MacOS USB Install Stick to test the EFI with so it doesn’t bork your system.... just in case.

Fingers crossed I got it right first time for you. 

Bios F12c for your Motherboard if your not already Using it.

Correct bios settings to be using 

BIOS SETTINGS (Bios Revision F12c)

Enter BIOS  Press Delete  Enter Setup

Save & Exit  Load Optimized Defaults

• Boot -> Windows 8/10 Features -> Win 8/10 WHQL

Boot -> CSM Support -> Disabled (Can be set to Enabled if need be but try to have it set to Disabled first)

Favourites -> Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Profile1

Favourites -> VT-d -> Disabled (Can be set to Enabled or Disabled, Your choice)

Settings -> IO Ports -> USB Configuration -> XHCI Hands-off -> Enabled

Settings -> IO Ports -> Internal Display Output ->  IGPU or PCIe 1 Slot if your using a discreet GPU

Settings -> IO Ports -> Internal Graphics -> Enabled or Disabled for Discreet GPU 

Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Pre-Allocated -> 64M

Settings -> IO Ports -> DVMT Total GFX0-Allocated -> 256M

Settings -> IO Ports -> Aperture Size -> 256MB
 Settings -> IO Ports -> Wifi -> Disabled

Settings -> IO Ports -> Audio Controller -> Enabled

Settings -> IO Ports -> Above 4G Decoding -> Enabled

Settings -> IO Ports -> USB Configuration -> Legacy USB Support -> Auto

• Settings -> IO Ports -> USB Configuration ->  XHCI Hand-off -> Enabled

• Settings -> Miscellaneous -> Software Guard Extensions (SGX) -> Disabled

Settings -> Platform Power -> Platform Power Management -> Enabled

Settings -> Platform Power -> ErP -> Enabled

Settings -> Platform Power -> RC6(Render Standby) -> Enabled

Let me know how it goes buddy. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by AudioGod

5 hours ago, AudioGod said:

@canstoptherokk Here you go, Its radically different to your personal EFI so dont be alarmed by how much less there is too it then your one.

I had the correct DSDT compiled already for your motherboard so I made you a EFI from scratch.

All your details have been entered for you so it should be just a case of drag and drop it in and away you go.

Im guessing your using the IGPU on its own but if your not and your using a Vega GPU its all setup for that or a NAVI Gpu aswell (add the boot argument agdpmod=pikera if using a Navi GPU) or if your using a Polaris GPU then let me know and il alter the EFI for that.

Ive also given you full usb capabilitys on all ports with no port limits while keeping it all native.

make sure you update to the latest bios revision of your board (F12D)

Use a MacOS USB Install Stick to test the EFI with so it doesn’t bork your system.... just in case.

Fingers crossed I got it right first time for you. 

Let me know how it goes buddy. :thumbsup_anim:

Hi,

Wow that was fast :)

Thank you so much for this. I did all the installation as you described it, (i don't use internal gfx, so i left the dvmt stuff)

And it boots FAST now! everything works, even the Multiple audio sources at the same time (turns out there's also a setting to release the asio driver for cubase when it's in the background)

Only i think my USB is not correctly working just yet, i think usb 3.X is not yet working. . (system info screenshot)

I've tried to plug it into any usb port i have, but no success.

- 1. when i plug it into the USB 3.1 Gen 2 Typ A Ports (red), it doesn't recognize the device at all

- 2. when i plug it into any of the USB 3.1 Gen 1 Ports, it recognizes it, but says that the connection established is 2.0 (see screenshot)

- 3. when i plug it into the USB-C port, the result is the same as 2.

WHEN i have it working (with that USB 2.0 error nonetheless), it functions fine, so i guess this thing also works in 2.0, but maybe it'd be cool to have the usb 3.0 working.

Do you have any suggestions what i could look at? 

thank you so much for your time!!!

= T

Screenshot 2020-02-13 19.00.48.png

Screenshot 2020-02-13 19.27.38.png

Edited by canstoptherokk

4 minutes ago, canstoptherokk said:

Hi,

Wow that was fast :)

Thank you so much for this. I did all the installation as you described it, (i don't use internal gfx, so i left the dvmt stuff)

And it boots FAST now! everything works, even the Multiple audio sources at the same time (turns out there's also a setting to release the asio driver for cubase when it's in the background)

Only i think my USB is not correctly working just yet, i think usb 3.X is not yet working. . (system info screenshot)

I've tried to plug it into any usb port i have, but no success.

- 1. when i plug it into the USB 3.1 Gen 2 Typ A Ports (red), it doesn't recognize the device at all

- 2. when i plug it into any of the USB 3.1 Gen 1 Ports, it recognizes it, but says that the connection established is 2.0 (see screenshot)

- 3. when i plug it into the USB-C port, the result is the same as 2.

WHEN i have it working (with that USB 2.0 error nonetheless), it functions fine, so i guess this thing also works in 2.0, but maybe it'd be cool to have the usb 3.0 working.

Do you have any suggestions what i could look at?

thank you so much for your time!!!

= T

Screenshot 2020-02-13 19.00.48.png

Screenshot 2020-02-13 19.27.38.png

il look into it for you bud.

I just checked my usb 3.1 ports and they are all fine on this end so let me have a think for you.

im glad the EFI is working well for you anyway that's great.

What gpu are you using as I might need to give you a different DSDT?

4 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Haha ok replace the dsdt with this one please bud.

F12d DSDT.RX.zip 

i did, but no noticeable changes with the USB 3.. i still get the same error message on the yamaha tool.

if you look at my previous screenshot it says 

USB 3.1 Bus 

-> USB 2.0 Hub

which is weird, is something creating a virtual usb 2 hub there?

2 minutes ago, canstoptherokk said:

i did, but no noticeable changes with the USB 3.. i still get the same error message on the yamaha tool.

if you look at my previous screenshot it says 

USB 3.1 Bus 

-> USB 2.0 Hub

which is weird, is something creating a virtual usb 2 hub there?

Yes it could very well be my USB patching at play.

Let me try giving a port limit version, give me about an hour and il send it over, I’m just having a munch lol

2 minutes ago, canstoptherokk said:

hang on a second, something is different now... let me investigate :)

hehe ok no probs

I'm prepping a 15 port limit usb version now just in case.

it should work how I have it though.

oh and the dsdt I sent over wasn't for usb but was for your gpu against your board.

Hm, so now it seems like the device is working with 3.1, but the dspMixFx app doesn't recognize it.

Screenshot 1 shows the UR44C is on 3.1 connection

Screenshot 2 shows the yamaha setting window, where i previously could select the superspeed, but has no selection anymore (which could be ok, since its superspeed by default)

Screenshot 3 shows the dspMixFx app, which says that there is no device... cc-mode is off on the device, so that's not the issue.

Screenshot 2020-02-13 20.13.25.png

Screenshot 2020-02-13 20.15.22.png

Screenshot 2020-02-13 20.15.32.png

Ok try this version instead,

You now have a 15 port limit on the boards USB to comply with apples laws so this means usb3 devices will only work on usb3 ports etc etc

the bottom left USB port on the back if your looking at it is usb 3 and 2 if needed.

Edited by AudioGod

3 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

hehe ok no probs

I'm prepping a 15 port limit usb version now just in case.

it should work how I have it though.

yeah it does work, actually - i think i forgot to set the legacy usb support to auto, but had it on 'enabled' :D sorry!!!

also, when i plug in a usb 3 stick into one of the slots, it shows up under USB 3, so this all seems to work perfectly. THANK YOU SO MUCH (i'm not yelling, i'm just excited)

3 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

oh and the dsdt I sent over wasn't for usb but was for your gpu against your board.

oh cool. it worked also with the previous one, though :)

so i guess maybe the current issue right now has nothing to do with the hack config, but maybe with the dspmixfx app.

Thank you! If there is anything i can do to repay the debt, please let me know.

Awesome buddy that's great.

Only thing you can do for me is just enjoy. :thumbsup_anim:

oh and as for the replacement DSDT, under the hood the other one was wrong for your gpu. you might not of noticed to be fair but I would of known and I couldn't do that...lol

Correct is correct so correct it must be :hysterical:

Edited by AudioGod

I’ve taken down the EFIs as they have your info on them and we don’t want other people to use your info so it’s best to remove it,

keep a copy safe on a usb stick or somthing so you have a back up and if you ever need any help with anything pop over to my z390 pro thread where there plenty good people that are always willing to help.