OpenCore on ASRock AMD X570 ITX/TB3

AleksandarVacic

3 posts in this topic

I'm building using ASRock X570 ITX/TB3 board as iMacPro1,1. With one SSDT-XHC.aml (essentially copy ports from DSDT) I managed to get all my back panel USB ports working as they should be – see attached Ryzen5-SSDT-XHC.ioreg, how it looks like after boot.

What I would like to do remove that .aml and make USB-map.kext that would work. I did map out all the ports and I know which one should be enabled. Problem is that all attempts I do seem to be ignored. I attached one of the many failed attempts.

The attached Ryzen5-port-limit-quirk-ON.ioreg shows the situation after plain boot, with XCHIPortLimit quirk set to YES, but other than no SSDT XHC remaps are done. The list of ports is quite different, I see two XHC0 and XHC1 looks quite different in the left panel than the other two.

Not sure how I should approach USB mapping, where to start.

It's worth noting that PCI section in System Information is entirely empty thus I feel I may need a lot of SSDT remaps to make this work properly. It's hard to figure out where to start with that either.

(I did read the USB map guides, both CorpNewt's and from Khronokernel vanilla guide. Maaany times.)

USBMap_iMacPro1,1_ASRock-X570-Phantom-Gaming-ITX-TB3.kext.zip

System DSDT.aml

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using an ASRock X570 Creator mobo. Your DSDT looks very similar to mine.

On Intel mobos, it seems that one USB device often host 16 to 20 USB ports. Such a USB device requires limiting so that any given device has at most 15 active ports. However, on the AMD mobo (at least the ASRock X570) there are several USB devices, none of which have more than 10 or so USB ports. You do not need to limit the mobo to 15 ports, just a given device. That is, the whole mobo can have more than 15 active ports, just not more than 15 per device.

Example, if there is an XHC3 with 10 ports and an XHC5 with 10 ports, then both are okay as is. If there is an XHC3 with 20 ports and an XHC5 with 10 ports only the XHC3 needs to be limited to 15 ports. What I found was that there were no more than 15 USB per device on the ASRock X570 Creator and that no USB limiting kexts were needed. My build is very stable running either Mojave 10.14.6 or Catalina 10.15.3 using OpenCore (TB isn't working but otherwise all is fine). There is a description of this build on the AMD-OSX forum: https://forum.amd-osx.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9645&sid=6a440aa4bbe16d112c011b258c4d8a7d

• 2 weeks later...

I did figure this out eventually and wrote a two-part blog post that would hopefully help others complete their USB map.

https://aplus.rs/2020/usb-mapping-why/

There are two issues remaining with this build:

- Thunderbolt 3 support in macOS

- sleep does not work (it hangs, GPU fans start spinning and only hard reset helps)

First is a big issue, not sure it's even properly solvable.

Second is something I would like to resolve, but have no idea how to even figure out what hangs the system so severely.