DVI-D port of RX570 GPU not working; monitor detected

RePete222

11 posts in this topic

When I connect one of my monitors to the DVI-D port of my RX570 GPU, the screen is dark, even though Mojave does detect and correctly identify the connected monitor.  I was fortunate enough to have a DVI-to-DP adapter laying around (left over from use with an old laptop), and can get the monitor working through the second DisplayPort.  Under Windows 10, the same monitor works when connected to the DVI-D port.

Can anyone offer guidance on how to get the DVI-D output to work under Mojave? Also, might a similar fix be required for the HDMI ports, should they also prove to be defunct under Mojave?  (I haven't tried the HDMI ports under Mojave yet, but may need to at some point in the future.)  I have been searching all over, and can't seem to hit on the right search terms to find a solution.

Thanks.

Well, I did the reflash, but still get a black screen when connected to the DVI-D port. :( Still have to use the DP adapter to see the display.

When connected to the DVI-D port, it works fine in Windows 10.  Also, during Clover bootup, all the verbose mode messages are displaying, but the screen goes black once it gets to the Mojave desktop.

Any ideas on what else to try?

Edited by RePete222
Clarify when screen is black.

22 hours ago, Slice said:

Switch off verbose mode and boot with apple on screen.

Tried that, and boy oh boy, what a mess that made!  First couple of attempts resulted in a freeze just before the progress bar got all the way across.  The DVI-connected monitor went dark, and the other monitor froze with vertical "noise" stripes down the screen.  Some of that repeated after going back to the DVI-to-DP adapter, but I eventually got all the way in.

On a later attempt through the DVI port, I booted a few times--even powering off/unplugging the PC for several minutes between attempts, just to find out whether it repeated.  Most attempts did get the vertical-noise-stripes freeze; when I did make it all the way to the desktop, the DVI-connected monitor again went dark.  After switching back to the DP adapter, I kept on getting the vertical noise stripes on both monitors, which kept coming back with each retry.  Even the first couple attempts to boot from a rescue boot disk had the same problem!  I FINALLY did manage to get the rescue boot to succeed, and am running on that system as I type this.

I am attaching a screen shot to show an example of the vertical noise stripes mentioned above.

DSC04971.JPG

It should be specific for your card BIOS. Try to flash a BIOS from different vendor.

Open GPU-Z. Save original BIOS.

Open Polaris BIOS Editor and look for subsystem ID. Remember.

Take a BIOS from techpowerup with the same memory type and size.

Open Polaris BIOS editor and change SubID in new BIOS with value from your original BIOS.

Flash new BIOS with ATIWINFlash.

I did this. 

Before I have artefacts, CSM only and non-working DVI port.

Flashing XFX BIOS I got UEFI BIOS and working DVI. As well I got good Graphics Power Management and Fan control.

Снимок экрана 2020-01-21 в 21.01.35.png

On 1/21/2020 at 12:03 PM, Slice said:

It should be specific for your card BIOS. Try to flash a BIOS from different vendor.

Open GPU-Z. Save original BIOS.

Open Polaris BIOS Editor and look for subsystem ID. Remember.

Take a BIOS from techpowerup with the same memory type and size.

Open Polaris BIOS editor and change SubID in new BIOS with value from your original BIOS.

Flash new BIOS with ATIWINFlash.

I will give that a try; may not be able to get to it until the weekend.

In the meantime, I have reverted to the original VBIOS, to fix the hit-and-miss startup freezes with the vertical stripes.  Curiously, the second DP port quit working in Windows 10--until I went into Radeon settings and turned on EyeFinity extended displays.  Both HDMI ports and the DVI port were hot-plug detectable, but not the second DP port. :surprised:

Using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter, I confirmed that (under the original VBIOS) both HDMI ports have the same issue under Mojave as the DVI port--so only the DP ports are functional.

On 1/21/2020 at 12:03 PM, Slice said:

I did this. 

Before I have artefacts, CSM only and non-working DVI port.

Flashing XFX BIOS I got UEFI BIOS and working DVI. As well I got good Graphics Power Management and Fan control.

Are you saying that, with your old VBIOS, your main BIOS would not allow you to turn off CSM (or set a UEFI-preferred setting)?  That's what I have been seeing with my MB BIOS; I thought it was from my Windows boot drive being formatted MBR. Didn't occur to me that the VBIOS might be the actual culprit.

Thanks.

I tried flashing an edited Gigabyte VBIOS and got the same result (either freezing during startup with vertical stripes, or having only the DP ports working).  For the VBIOS you flashed to get your DVI port working, how many attributes/specifications were different than the original VBIOS?  I know you said that memory size and type have to match; I'm wondering what else needs to match vs. being different.

Thanks.

I see numerous voltages and timings. They are different and I did not care about.

Are you saying that, with your old VBIOS, your main BIOS would not allow you to turn off CSM (or set a UEFI-preferred setting)? 

Yes, exactly. With old VBIOS I could not turn off CSM. It depends on VBIOS.

With new VBIOS I can. 

There is one thing that you should check as I did on my Gigabyte motherboard:

BIOS setting "Full Logo show". It should be disabled for VBIOS works as UEFI.

On 1/24/2020 at 10:29 PM, Slice said:

There is one thing that you should check as I did on my Gigabyte motherboard:

BIOS setting "Full Logo show". It should be disabled for VBIOS works as UEFI.

Wow, who knew? :)  I turned off the logo display option in my BIOS, and was able to disable CSM without the BIOS complaining about it (I also converted my Windows 10 boot drive via MBR2GPT, so that I could confirm a UEFI boot for Windows).  I did have to re-enable CSM, however, as only the Windows boot manager was showing as a boot option when CSM was disabled.  Much of that is getting off-topic; the main point here is that I can at least go to a CSM-disabled setting with my original VBIOS now.

I'm not sure that I want to pursue reflashes that deviate too far from the original, and risk "bricking" my GPU, as I have no onboard or other standby GPU to fall back on, should that happen.  Seems like a FB patch would be a safer route, especially since Windows can handle all ports correctly.  Should at least be theoretically possible to get Mojave enabling all ports under same VBIOS.