10.4.8 won't boot

Shimms

7 posts in this topic

I upgraded my 10.4.7 installation to 10.4.8 and now when I boot it doesn't get past

"using 5242 buffer headers and 4096 cluster io buffer headers".

Another strange thing that I noticed was it doesn't output any CPU information as its booting, which it always has previously.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Update:

I reset my BIOS, (I changed a setting in it which then proceeded to prevent my entire machine POSTing :/).

Now it doesn't even get as far as the previous error, it gets past the initial scrolling text loading HFS+ stuff and then as it changes resolution to go into the standard darwin scrolling text it just resets. Every time.

:/

No you're quite right, I guess I didn't really help you guys to help me. You really should have pointed me to a thread "How to ask questions the right way" :happymac: Sorry about that.

After doing the BIOS reset, it had swapped the IDE order of my HDD and DVD, so the DVD was now Primary Master and the HDD Tetiary Master.

After changing the IDE settings to PATA + SATA it put them back in the right place (HDD Primary Master and DVD tertiary master) and the boot succeeded.

The first time it booted it restarted its self (as per the instructions) and then continued to boot fully into OS X, however upon entering my password I got a kernel panic.

The next boot seemed to work fine, and I was able to log in again.

There was obviously something set in my BIOS that caused the initial error, which the BIOS reset changed to something OS X liked.

For the record, my specs:

Asus P5LD2-VM Mobo

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13

1GB PC-5300 RAM

WD 160Gb SATA HDD

Pioneer DVD-RW (which now works in 10.4.8, it didn't in 10.4.7)

I updated using the method here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=33342

After changing the IDE settings to PATA + SATA it put them back in the right place (HDD Primary Master and DVD tertiary master) and the boot succeeded.

The first time it booted it restarted its self (as per the instructions) and then continued to boot fully into OS X, however upon entering my password I got a kernel panic.

The next boot seemed to work fine, and I was able to log in again.

So, I take it problem solved.

I am currently running the old kernel in 10.4.8 because I was suffering too many hard freezes and system crashes - the grey multi-language reboot crash. And afterward, it might take me 5 tries to get it to boot again. The problem could recur in 5 minutes or 5 hours, so I switched to an older installation until I am ready to try again.

Mostly solved. Sound doesn't work after updating.

The installation of the Apple 10.4.8 update replaced all of your kexts. If you had previously modified one to enable sound, you need to do it again.

A new AppleAzaliaAudio.kext does not get installed, but a new AppleHDA.kext does. You have to move the AppleHDA.kext out of the Extensions folder to get things working. Then delete the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache files and reboot.

If you lost your AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, you can extract one from the 10.4.7 installation using Pacifist.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18642