NVMeFix

103 posts in this topic

Is there any harm in using NVMeFix.kext boot-arg -nvmefaspm with all NVMe M.2 SSDs?  Details below...

This thread has been inactive for some time, but it seems the best place to ask this: My rig booting OC 0.6.9 / Catalina and Big Sur (described here) has two NVMe M.2 SSDs (one Western Digital and one Samsung) and one 2.5" HD in a very tight enclosure.  NVMe SSD Temps reported by HWMonitor.app can be as high as 35 deg C and the 2.5 HD temp can be as high as 42 deg C.  I'm currently using NVMeFix.kext v1.0.7 with boot-arg -nvmefaspm.   It seems to me that my SSD temps are lower (currently 25 and 32 deg C for the Western Digital and Samsung SSDs respectively where ambient is 25 deg C).  Since the NVMe M.2 SSD temps are lower, the HD temp is also lower (currently 32 deg C) (because of the tight enclosure).

I may want to include the -nvmefaspm boot-arg as a standard part of my published EFI in my guide.  If I include this boot-arg in my published EFI, is there any harm to those with NVMe SSDs that don't benefit from or don't need this boot-arg?

6 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

Is there any harm in using NVMeFix.kext boot-arg -nvmefaspm with all NVMe M.2 SSDs?  Details below...

I would say no, since most Laptops have ASPM enabled by default.

6 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

NVMe SSD Temps reported by HWMonitor.app can be as high as 35 deg C and the 2.5 HD temp can be as high as 42 deg C.  I'm currently using NVMeFix.kext v1.0.7 with boot-arg -nvmefaspm.   It seems to me that my SSD temps are lower (currently 25 and 32 deg C for the Western Digital and Samsung SSDs respectively where ambient is 25 deg C).  Since the NVMe M.2 SSD temps are lower, the HD temp is also lower (currently 32 deg C) (because of the tight enclosure).

HWMonitor does not show us the controller temp. In my case the NVMe was always throttling while HWMonitor shows me temps between 50-60º. The SSD is located under the RX580 where it is very hot while the fans are not running. So don't trust the temps. BTW. I use an SSDT to disable ASPM for this hot "Samsung 970 EVO"

• Like 1

• 6 months later...