Restart halted in the middle

Wisam

5 posts in this topic

Hi, at first restart was working correctly. I installed programs and after that I tried to restart and it closes the dock and application bar so I am left with only the desktop wallpaper. However, the restart hangs and does not continue. If I go to the terminal, type Reboot as administrator, then the restart works and it is very FAST !!

Can someone explain to me the difference between both methods and how can I fix the restart issue.

Thanks

Rammjet, thanks for the link. I followed the guide there and it screwed up my whole system. It even did not let me in using -s command at the boot menu. I went to my windows and copied the kernel back using Macdrive. I guess I was lucky.

What I found is that if i left the mac for 1 minutes or so then it will restart.

Actually, restart was working but I did not give it time ! Stupid move from me. My guess is that I installed some software that is taking time to shut down so I thought it is a user process. I created another account and logged in and tried to restart but the same thing happened. So it MUST be an administrator process. The question is how do I know which one. I will need to know the default processes first. Second how do I control which process to load during boot up ? In windows I use MSCONFIG or REGEDIT. How do I do this in Mac ? I have a limited experience here

Thanks

Rammjet, thanks for the link. I followed the guide there and it screwed up my whole system. It even did not let me in using -s command at the boot menu. I went to my windows and copied the kernel back using Macdrive. I guess I was lucky.

Yesterday, the links to the kernels were taken down. And the update app didn't check whether it successfully got the new file before updating it. However, the links are fixed and the new updater works, but still doesn't do much checking.

The question is how do I know which one. I will need to know the default processes first. Second how do I control which process to load during boot up ? In windows I use MSCONFIG or REGEDIT.

You can see all running processes in Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Set the pop-up to all processes or your processes, whatever. If you are daring, you can click on any process and then Quit it. However, some processes will respawn automatically and others will crash your machine if you stop them.

OSX starts with all the processes it needs. It dynamically loads other processes it as it needs them. When you turn on options like Sharing, new processes are set to run both immediately and at every logon. The processes are located many places and permanently stopping one or two would depend upon the process. OSX does not expect the user to mess with its processes.