Mojave Works 100%, But Catalina stalls loading if any graphics patch is enabled.

stevef

12 posts in this topic

Firstly I have two of these machines and both work 100% in Mojave with HDMI Audio full acceleration etc. On-Board Audio does not and probably will never work (weirdo Realtek chip ALC5662 which does not work in windows either). 

Desktop Specs: HP Chrome box G3 w/ mrchomebox full UEFI rom, i7 8550U, Intel UHD620 Graphics, bcm94360cs2ax (Original Apple Wireless Card). 

The problem with Catalina: Catalina installs and boots no problem without graphics patches (7mb graphics and no acceleration). However when any Graphics patch is introduced it will freeze at the following: 

[IGPU] Render Compression for IOSurface is Enabled.

vA679T.jpg

The Actual Device ID: 0x59178086

Mojave working using: 0x3EA50004 (Coffeelake patch) which works perfectly (loads as Iris Plus 655)

A patch with ID of 3EA50004 and Clover set ig-platform-id 0x59160009 and intel inject is turned on also works in Mojave which loads as a UHD620 (However iMac 18,1 SMBios only)

Tried: basically every variation of inject, board ID's, SMBios, Hackintosh patches and even tried Open Core (which stalls at exactly the same place in Catalina) !   

My Current Working Mojave config below. 

vA6CSR.png

Any thoughts on what could be going wrong with Catalina ? 

config.plist

Edited by stevef
Title

I am using Macmini 8,1 ... SMBios however appears to make no difference whatsoever to Mojave with the patch above it works flawlessly without faking anything or injecting anything with clover.

However it still hangs at the same point regardless in Catalina.

OpenCore has exactly the same settings and hangs as well at the same point so Has to be a setting somewhere that I'm not seeing.

8550U is a Kabylake-R rather than just Kabylake. Which is apparently closer to Coffeelake.

I have tried faking with various ID's the settings in my Config are the only one that give me Acceleration AND HDMI Audio.

If I use the patch below along with clover ig-platform-id 0x59160009 and Inject intel for Mojave it will work 100% as well (with correct PCI device displaying) ... but this will also hang Catalina boot at the same point. 

I get the feeling that this is more to do with a permission, setting or device failing to load in Catalina rather than an issue with the patch.

I have re-installed Catalina twice to be sure its 100% first though (completely Vanilla btw). First Attempt was an upgrade from Mojave (which also worked fine except the stupid graphics!)   

Also, just to out hardware, I have tested Catalina installs on both of my identical machines with exactly the same result.  

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
		<dict>
			<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
			<data>
			BAClPg==
			</data>
			<key>device-id</key>
			<data>
			pT4AAA==
			</data>
			<key>disable-external-gpu</key>
			<data>
			AQAAAA==
			</data>
			<key>enable-hdmi20</key>
			<data>
			AQAAAA==
			</data>
			<key>framebuffer-fbmem</key>
			<data>
			AACQAA==
			</data>
			<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
			<integer>1</integer>
			<key>framebuffer-stolenmem</key>
			<data>
			AAAwAQ==
			</data>
		</dict>

vAtR3k.png

Edited by stevef

I might try your Framebuffer properties and see how I get on. 

I have tried Pretty Much every variation of platform ID's under the sun prior to Catalina in order to get both graphics and sound working. When I used ig-platform-id 0x59160009 + Inject + iMac 18,1 + Patch above everything works and displays the correct details e.g. UHD620 / Kabylake. 

However using the no inject patch (the one in the current config plist) it works perfectly - no issues in Mojave and basically any platform works. using your IG + device above= no acceleration, using 0x59160009 with the patch and I get a pink screen. Platform ID of 59160000 however does nothing whatsoever so it appears I need to use the coffeeLake ID to get anything happening.  

This is what I use in Mojave Currently with no faking or injection. As It turns out that Framebuffer patching was unnecessary to make everything work on my Mojave system so I removed it. 
vQpCtU.png
vQpXGY.png

Regards the EC0 to EC though .... yes it is correct assuming I'm understanding everything correctly (but I might not be!)

vQpbM6.png

Edited by stevef

Ok, so I tried your patch instead of mine and again. Mojave, working fine. 

Catalina However Stalls loading at exactly the same point with single every patch I've tried, So I would guess there is no issue with the patch(es), not when all 3 work in Mojave perfectly. 

Catalina will boot no problem if the graphics patch is disabled.

[IGPU] Render Compression for IOSurface is Enabled.

Anything else that could be borking it ? Permissions / SIP .... some other horrible difference between Catalina and Mojave ? 

Slow motion Video of the boot process .... maybe something sticks out to someone I am going to try and notate all the errors as text and maybe one will point to being the culprit. 

Edited by stevef

Here is the error / warning list that I managed to transcribe from the video to make it easier (there may be something relevant that I'm missing outside of errors however).

Maybe this might help point to the culprit? 

From what I'm seeing elsewhere some of these errors / warning are completely "normal" but I'm not sure how to interpret all of them. 

• “name” not a kext
  • “failedImage” not a kext
  • ACPI Error: [CPUB] namepace lookup failure, AE not found (20160930/dswload-292)
  • ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND. During name lookup/catalog (2016090930/psobject-310)
  • ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND (SSDT: CPUm) while loading table (20160930/tbxfload-319)
  • ACPI Error: 1 table load failures, 2 successful (20160930/tbxload-342)
  • Warning - kext com.apple.driver.usb.Apppleusbhostplatform properties declares no com.apple.kpl.* dependencies if it uses any KPI’s the link …. Calling npo_policy_init for Lilu
  • ACPI Error [DTGP] namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (201609030/psargs-463)
  • ACPI Error: Method Parse/exceution failed [\_sb.pci0.rp01.eth0._dsm] (node ffffff8033384510), AE not found (20160930/psparse-632)
  • AppleIntellpssgspil:: start : initgspigoio failed
  • Warning: kexts unavailable; proceeding w/o lock for <unknown>
  • Notice - new kext com.apple.driver.kextexclude list , v15.1.1 matches relinked kext but can’t determine if executables are the same …..
  • Applelmucontroller::smcgetkeyinfo Error ; recieved error 0x84 when getting key info for ALRV
  • Appleintellpssi2c-1:iniyI2CGpio: no isol, validateobject returned 0xe00002bc
  • Appleintellpssi2ccontroller-1::notificationpublishedhandler: get channelnumber failed
  • Appleintellpssi2c-1:iniyI2CGpio: no isol, validate object returned 0xe00002bc
  • Appleintellpssi2ccontroller-1::notificationpublishedhandler: get channelnumber failed
  • Appleintellpssi2c-1:iniyI2CGpio: no isol, validateobject returned 0xe00002bc
  • Unexpected session? 100000 uid: -1 requested by: 106
  • Applekeystore: operation failed (pid 106 sel: 17 ret : e00002c2 -536870206 - 1 100000)
  • unexpected session : 10000 did -1 requested by: 106
  • Apfs _load_ lnode_internal: 3952: *** reset ino 1061145 size pack to 0 (from 57)
  • ACPI_SMC_platform_plugin::start wait for service resourcematcing (appleintelcpumanagement) Timed out.
  • Warning IOplatformpluginutil:  getCPUIDinfo: this is an unknown cpu model 0x8e
  • — powermanagement may be incomplete or unsupported.
  • ApplePMC :: publishedIOPFF() - Failed

Thanks in advance. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@stevef

i'd like to install macos mojave with opencore, and was hoping that you can post your config.plist and EFI folder as well for opencore. am currently having trouble with booting the installer with opencore, but the one with clover boots just fine. 

btw, is your machine an HP Chromebox G2? mine has the i7-8650U with 16Gb RAM. am very eager to install macos on this machine. currently running debian on it.

TIA

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ok call       __ZN18IGTelemetryManager16prepareTelemetryEj ; IGTelemetryManager::prepareTelemetry(unsigned int)

trigger the hang 10.15.0 ok but 10.15.1 hangs. could use 10.15 kext or nop the above.. but no idea how to inject the patch in newer osx