Snow Leopard on Acer Veriton X2611G

bluenote56

4 posts in this topic

Hi, it happens I have to use this pc as for now, since all my other staff has been stolen two days ago. 

I' m very happy.. you can understand. Please give me some advice on installing Snow Leopard on this machine.

It has a Sandy Bridge cpu (H61 it seems) 6 gb ram and since it's ages I don't face this kind of installation, I tried with an old SL dvd without any success.

Thanks so much for your help.

Edited by bluenote56

22 hours ago, Hervé said:

You'll have to do as usual and post the full specs (CPU, chipset, LAN, wifi, audio, graphics, etc.) to ascertain compatibility. H61 isn't a CPU model, it's a desktop chipset and the trouble is that most of the Sandy Bridge CPUs it supports integrate HD2000 graphics (unsupported under OS X/macOS), not HD3000 (itself is poorly supported on desktops). I hope you have a little compatible low-profile graphics card at hand (eg: nvidia GT730 DDR5)...

What are you trying to boot your SL DVD with, I mean which bootloader? Good old Nawcom ModCD might be the easiest thing even if only to get a basic and unfinalised SL installation from which you'd be able to download High Sierra (or higher depending on your graphics) and build the relevant USB installer to start afresh again.

First, thanks for your help. You know, you feel devastated when you enter your office and  you find only ruins from thieves. BTW here are the specs of this miserable machine and concerning the bootloader I tried with and old distro that I used so many yers ago.

If it should work I have no problem to find a low profile gpu.

Intel Pentium G645 @2.90 Ghz
Sandy Bridge 32nm

Intel HD Graphics (d.id 8086-0102)

Realtek High Definition Audio

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Thanks

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2019 at 2:40 PM, Hervé said:

You may have to fake a supported Sandy Bridge Core i3/i5/i7 CPU id, though SL may be Ok with Pentium as it is. Afaik, there'll be no support for 2nd gen Intel HD 8086:0102 so add-on graphics card will most defintely be a must.

Please note that Sandy Bridge platforms are supported in SL 10.6.6-10.6.8 only, not in earlier versions.

Update. I could work on this old pc since I'm forced home for coronavirus new laws. I could successfully install ( thanks to InsanelyMac and Olarila) Mojave  on this PC.

The problem is Intel HD 2000. So I tried a good chep low profile Gigabyte DDR5 nvidia 710 but it seems it doesn't work. I read many reports on DDR3 working, but if there could be a workaround to make this one working, it would be perfect. I can use only low profile slim gpus since there's no room for any other choice.

OK I'll not quote any more. I just wanted to thank for what I could do on this old pc.

Btw even if it's off topic, I just report that the ddr5 710 (hdmi) starts normally, then I get a black screen and there's no way to go on. 

I'll check as you said if this one is a Fermi or Kepler following your advice.

Thanks