QLVideo Workaround for Catalina

mnfesq

3 posts in this topic

For those of you who keep .mkv video files on your computer, you must have noticed that, with the installation of Catalina, we lost video thumbnails and quicklook function.  According to Marginal, the developer of QLVideo, Catalina fails to allow his plugin to perform its intended function.  Zhiayang, posted a workaround for .mkv files only but since most video files are either .mp4 (which work natively) or .mkv files, this is a major improvement.  The most current version of QLVideo is 1.92.  You can download it here:

https://github.com/Marginal/QLVideo/releases

Install the .pkg.  Then, replace the plugin file called Video.qlgenerator located in /Library/Quicklook/ with the plugin I modified below:

Video.qlgenerator.zip

In Terminal, type qlmanage -r, Enter.  After that, restart Finder (killall Finder).  It may take a few minutes before the thumbnails start loading but load they should.  It's nice to have this feature back.

P.S. - If anyone wants to modify their own Video.qlgenerator, you can try out Zhiayang's workaround here:

https://github.com/Marginal/QLVideo/issues/63#issuecomment-555326752

Edited by mnfesq
Update Video.qlgenerator
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

For those who use QLVideo for thumbnail and Quickview functionality beyond what Apple provides, it appears that this project has been abandoned by its creator.  This is a great opportunity for a developer looking to have a big impact on the Apple community to fork his work and carry on with it.  As I am a lawyer with no computer science training, I cannot do it.

However, I was able to add additional functionality to the Video.qlgenerator I posted in the original thread.  It will now work with .mkv, .wmv, .flv, and .webm files.  Unfortunately, it still will not work with .avi, .dv or .mpeg-4 files (i.e., the so-called "public" files.). Of course, .mp4 and .mov files work natively with Catalina as does any other native QuickTime file.

If you have downloaded my modified Video.qlgenerator file and restored thumbnail/QL functionality for the listed files, please let me know.  This thread has received many, many views but no replies.  Thanks.

Edited by mnfesq
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 8:08 PM, mnfesq said:

If you have downloaded my modified Video.qlgenerator file and restored thumbnail/QL functionality for the listed files, please let me know.  This thread has received many, many views but no replies.  Thanks.

I did and thank you so much !
I hope avi will work soon :D