Install Catalina 10.15.1 on USB SSD Kaby Lake HP Laptop

ltooz_audis

1 post in this topic

OK, it's been a while since I posted something here. The new Catalina was out last month, the current version is 10.15.1. I decided to install on my HP Envy 13" Kaby Lake. This one should work for all Kaby Lake laptops out there and also with MOJAVE OS too. So read carefully and watch the videos.

1. You can't install Catalina on MBR unless you patch it, but it too complicated for me and I like to try the APFS system now instead of HFS. So, if you create the external USB drive using Boot Disk Utility, it won't install.

2. Replace original WIFI-Bluetooth COMBO with DW1560 or better.

3. Thanks to Lilu and people on Hackintosh world, things are much easier to install than before: Clover boot loader 5070, Lilu 1.3.9, Whatevergreen 1.3.4, AppleAlc 1.4.3, AirportBrcmFixup.kext, Bluetooth Patchram3 (I found BrcmPatchRAM3.kext + BrcmFirmwareData.kext + BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext), Hackintool is a must, VoodooPS2Controller.kext for trackpad, USBinjectAll , ACPIBatteryManager from rehabman, FakeSMC.kext.

4. Use a 1GB USB flash drive, use Boot Disk Utility to create an EFI folder, then copy it to the EFI folder of the External USB SSD hard drive.

I'll post more in details, but with these, you can boot Catalina without any problems.

Cheers,

Louis