ETC/RC? How to edit

atomicchicken

19 posts in this topic

Hello,

Im a newbie so please take it easy on me....hehe. Been having the problem with my built-in PS/2 keyboard and track pad not working and have been doing tons on searches on this and google bout the issue and seems like the answer is to edit "etc/rc" so I can unload then reload the PS/2 drivers. My question is...how do I edit this file?! Been looking all over on how to edit the "etc/rc" but cant seem to find an answer. Would really appreciate any help on how to fix this keyboard problem.

Also maybe you can help me on one other problem im having. The laptop (i installed 10.4.6 Jas W/ 10.4.8 Jas SSE2 combo update) is an Inspiron 2650 and seems as if the 3Com920 ethernet adapter doesnt work so I looked around and found a USB Dongle WiFi stick. Happens to be a Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54-AI and seems like theres drivers for it and people have been reporting that they have had success using it. Well I downloded the drivers from Ralinks site and installed but it doesnt show up. I can see it connected to a USB port in system profiler and manually launched the ralink utility but just say "No Device". Made sure to disable the built-in drivers and just to make sure it works popped it into a WinXP machine and it works.

Would love to get my 3Com920 Working too if anybody knows how.

Well once again I'd really appreciate any assistance or guidance on how to get problems sorted out!!!

Thanks,

J

Fireshark,

Thanks soooo much!!!! Got it....but if you or anyone else be so kind as to assist me a bit more. After I edited the etc/rc, I exited and low and behold the setting didnt get saved. How do I save the settings? I tried the "save" command from the drop down menu but it asked me where to save it so to stay on the safe side I didnt do anything.

Thanks again

Rammjet,

Thanks! Soooo sorry....bumped into another road block. Did the editing and saved and exited but it still wouldnt save the update. I also logged into "Root" and did it from there but still no go. My edits just wont stick. Must be permissions or something but if someone can help me on how to make the setting save I would really appreciate it. Almost there.....I can feel it!

Thanks!!!!

If you are doing it from Terminal while booted into OSX, then the commands:

sudo nano /etc/rc
(then give password)
(then edit file)
then Control-O to save (probably have to hit Enter to accept the existing file name)
then Control-X to exit nano

should work.

If you are doing it from single user mode (F8 at boot followed by -s), then

mount -uw /
nano /etc/rc
(then edit file)
then Control-O to save (probably have to hit Enter to accept the existing file name)
then Control-X to exit nano

should work.

If you see no text in the file when you edit it, then you are not editing the file, you are editing a new, blank file. Type the command correctly.

Rammjet,

i have read about this single user safe mode and all have pointed to the same thing of how to enter safe mode. As soon as the computer starts to boot, press and hold both "command" key and the "s" key together. "v" for verbose mode. Thing is that everytime I try it it just seems to keep booting until im back into "regular/multi user" mode. whatever i do i cant seem to enter single user mode. i even got access to an apple keyboard and tried it but no go. very weird. i tried your suggestion on pressing f8 as the computer boots and just had my onboard speakers beep and as usual, continued to boot normally.Am i suppose to tap f8 and then the "s" key or press and hold both together? Am i doing it right? any other suggestions? Sorry for being such a pain, please bear with me!

I wanted to thank you again for your advice and patience.

Cheers!!!!!

When OSX boots, the screen turns black and then grey with a spinning icon.

As soon as the screen turns black, press and hold F8 until a prompt appears. If using a bootloader, press F8 IMMEDIATELY after selecting OSX. If using the Darwin bootloader, type your boot options at the "boot" prompt. If booting straight into OSX, it is a little trickier. Right after the computer completes POST and the screen turns black, start tapping the F8 key quickly and repeatedly until a prompt appears. If the grey screen appears, you missed the opportunity, try again.

To boot into single-user mode, at the prompt, type: -s

To make it easier to enter your boot parameters, add the Timeout key to your boot.plist: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=216293

You can use a similar method to edit /etc/rc (ie drag it to Desktop, edit it, drag it back, answer 2 dialogs, repair permissions). To get to /etc/rc, in Finder -> Go menu -> Go to Folder... -> type: /etc -> find and drag file named rc

Another option is to put your commands into a file called: rc.local (make sure it doesn't get named rc.local.txt).

Drag this file to the /etc directory, answer 1 dialog, repair permissions.

Rammjet,

Thanks again! Got it and did the edit. Saved ok. rebooted and was still saved so looking good!!! well thought so...tried soo many things to get the keyboard working but still wont work. its a little better now cause originally if i touched my onboard keyboard the touchpad would be rendered useless. now i can press any key on my laptop keyboard but the touchpads will still respond. guess i got one working. I must be irritating you rammjet but i really appreciate the help and its a learning experience for me. really wish i could get osx86 working on my inspiron 2650 so i can dump windows.

guess it time to start a new post and see if anyone can help.

THANK YOU THANK YOU Rammjet and Fireshark!!!!!

Hi, I did it, it works awesome and I'm going to gave you step by step Instruction (Del Inspiron 2650)

Native Keyboard and TauchPad Works Flowless :D

1) Go to HardDisk>Applications>Utilities> (and turn on terminal)

2) (Tupe in Terminal) sundo nano /etc/rc (Push Enter)

3)(It Will Ask you Password: and type in your user pasword and push ENTER)

4)(It Will open rc file and navigation menu on the bottom, push CONTROL+V untill you go to the and of the fille)

5) (Betwan) if [ "${VerboseFlag}" != "-v" ]; then

/usr/libexec/WaitingForLoginWindow

fi

(Line and) exit0 (line insert this code:)

kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

6)(Push CONTROL+O, to activate saving potion, Push CONTROL+T, to activate "save to file option")

7)(navigate down and right in to a fille list untill you find "rc" file, get cursor on top of it and push enter, it'll save changes)

8)(Push Control+X, to exite rc fille)

9)(Tupe in exit in terminal, close terminal and reboot)

Hopefully itll be work

good luck.

dongio,

thanks for the advice!!! i really hope this works cause been having this problem for awhile now. just one question, when i type nano etc/rc i use to see a bunch of text but now when i do it and try to scroll down (ctrl+v) i dont see anything!!!! is it empty? the last time i was in there was when i put in some unload/load commands and all was fine but now its empty. anybody know where all the text went?

thanks in advance!

Allo again,

now im getting this error, how do i fix it? ive tried this suggestion :

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo find appleps2controller.kext -type d -exec /bin/chmod 0755 {} \;

sudo find appleps2controller.kext -type f -exec /bin/chmod 0644 {} \;

but didnt seem to fix it. also did the repair permissions but that also didnt seem to fix it.

can anyone help me fix this new error msg and assist me with why thr etc/rc is now empty?

thanks

post-60242-1165111555_thumb.png post-60242-1165111566_thumb.png