How to fix Reboot after switch to OpenCore? (on Gigabyte P45 High Sierra)

ChrisWayg

8 posts in this topic

I have just switched from Clover to OpenCore on most of my systems. The GA-EP45/Q9400 was my first Hackintosh in 2009 with Snow Leopard and I have been updating it ever since. Almost everything is working well in High Sierra, including shutdown. Only Reboot does not get back to the BIOS: it shuts down mostly, then switches off the screen and stays stuck with the power LED still on. This was working fine in Clover. Sleep also does not work, but never really worked in the past.

I have tried various settings and fixes including FadtEnableReset, but nothing works to fix Reboot.

What would you recommend?

I generally followed the Opencore Vanilla Desktop Guide and the OpenCore Configuration.pdf - the parts I configured differently from the Guide are noted here in more detail: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L · chriswayg/hackintosh · GitHub, which also has the EFI folder with config.plist, the DSDT.aml and all other files. An important addition was the RTCMemoryFixup.kext to prevent BIOS reset, as the OpenCore built-in RTC fix did not work.

Amazingly I was still able to boot into my old macOS 10.9.5 Mavericks partition on the second drive, which works just as well with OpenCore as in 2015 with Clover. Audio, Nvidia Web Drivers and Ethernet are all working.

Specs
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad (Yorkfield) Q9400 @ 2.66 GHz (OC up to 3.52 Ghz)

• MB: GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 (rev. 1.1 Bios F7)

• RAM: 4 x 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 1333 MHz

• HDD: 2 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001

• GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti (Nvidia GK104) with dual 1080p monitors

• macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6 (Build 17G9016)

Working
  • Audio, Video, Ethernet, USB, NVRAM

• Nvidia Web Drivers

• Shutdown

• Reboot does not get back to the BIOS, but switches off the screen and then is stuck (was fine in Clover)

• Sleep does not work

• press Option key to see OpenCore boot menu

Kexts active
  • AppleALC.kext

• Lilu.kext

• RealtekRTL8111.kext

• RTCMemoryFixup.kext

• SMCProcessor.kext

• VirtualSMC.kext

• WhateverGreen.kext

Edited by ChrisWayg
formatting & reworded topic title
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has nobody else encountered problems with reboot or shutdown after switching to OpenCore? This was working with Chameleon and Clover for 10 years. What is so different about OpenCore, that it cannot fix restart? I've have looked at all the OC switches and various old kexts, but still not found a fix. Is the hardware maybe too old for OpenCore?

Any ideas what else to look at or where to ask? 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 9:24 AM, aikidoka25 said:

Hi Chris, did you manage to correct the problem with restarting macOS on OpenCore? I would like to know because I have the same issue on X58 motherboard.

On 6/5/2020 at 6:36 AM, gobarrientos said:

Hello, I know that maybe is late but did you find any solution for this?

Sadly I did not find a solution. Last I tried was with OpenCore 0.5.4. I think. Then I reverted to Clover on that system, as the restart problem was too difficult to put up with for other users. - I do not think OpenCore is going to get widely tested on 10+ year old hardware like my 2009 MB. Therefore it is less likely for these bugs to get fixed. Which OC version did you try it with?

My files moved to
https://github.com/chriswayg/hackintosh-opencore/tree/master/Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L

Edited by ChrisWayg

• 1 year later...

Curious if you've (or anyone) has any fix to this?  I have a Haswell based machine, and I've *never* been able to get reboot working on this unit;  Shutdown works fine without issue.

Sleep doesn't work, well, it does, but the unit powers back on again after 5 seconds.

But I'll worry about sleep later; This RESTART issue is driving me crazy.

• 2 months later...

We have a very similar board. I have EP45-UD3P Rev1.1 F10 BIOS that is still usable in macOS Monterey. It's almost a flawless system except for its age and performance.

Working.

-CPU power management (C-State/P-State)

iMac10,1/AppleLPC/AGPM loaded

-Restart/Sleep/Shutdown

-Airdrop/Continuity(FV-T919)/Airplay to Mac/Universal Control (Monterey)

-Smooth Youtube VP9 1440P playback.

EFI in my signature

Edited by AppleBreak
  • Like 3

On 6/18/2020 at 4:34 PM, ChrisWayg said:

Sadly I did not find a solution. Last I tried was with OpenCore 0.5.4. I think. Then I reverted to Clover on that system, as the restart problem was too difficult to put up with for other users. - I do not think OpenCore is going to get widely tested on 10+ year old hardware like my 2009 MB. Therefore it is less likely for these bugs to get fixed. Which OC version did you try it with?

My files moved to
https://github.com/chriswayg/hackintosh-opencore/tree/master/Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L

have made your mapping usb? i dont see usbmap.kext