Advice on Cloning System

5 posts in this topic

My daughter bought an HP Deskpro 600 G2 that had been turned into a Hackintosh.

It is running Clover 5058.  Has Catalina 10.15.1 latest, Recovery, and Windows 10.  macOS and Windows 10 are evenly split.

The drive is a 240 gig Samsung SSD.

I have a Crucial MX500 1TB that I want to install in place of the Samsung.

I have Carbon Copy Cloner latest.  

I formatted the 1TB and partitioned it as 750 gig for macOS and 250 for Windows 10.

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the macOS partition to the 750 gig partition.  I then opened Clover Configurator and mounted the EFI partitions on both drives and copied the contents to the new EFI partition.

Now comes my questions...

1. Am I going about this all wrong?  What would be the best way?

2 How do I get the Windows partition cloned?

3. Is duplicating the EFI partition contents the only thing I have to do?

The machine works pretty well.  She got it while it still had Mojave 10.14.6 latest on it. Apple pushed Catalina on her and she blindly upgraded.  She had a really stressful morning as the machine was upgrading and she didn't know what to expect.  She had graphic design work she had to get out that day.

I appreciate any help you folks can give.

Dennis

Although it's doable and works pretty well, I would definately put each OS on separate disks to save a world of potential pain and frustration down the road caused by data corruption of each or both being on the same disk. Some pundits may disagree with me but IMHO, running Windows and OS X on separate disks will be far easier to manage with future updates to minimise cross data corruption. As it stands now, I would use CCC to clone OS X to a ssd disk making sure it is bootable then wipe OS X from the other disk and reclaim that part of the partition for Windows, don't worry Clover will be able to boot both operating systems. Whatever path you choose to take Good luck. There are loads of tutorials on the subject and method.

Thank you both for responding.

I agree that having macOS and Clover on one drive and then Windows on the other drive would be a good thing.  It makes it easier to upsize the drives later on.

This is a newbie question I know...  Does Clover automagically scan all installed SATA drives and produce its boot menu?

The drive I have created that has the copy of the EFI and the macOS partition should boot as is even though the windows partition has not been cloned yet?

I really appreciate your help.

Dennis

As long as the Disk with OS X installation is the first boot disk listed in the BIOS, Clover will see both OS X and Windows in the boot menu giving you the ability to choose which ever OS to boot into. Hope this helps.