Random freezing Mojave

_Mirko_

4 posts in this topic

Hi there, I am experiencing random freezing in Mojave.

Its completely random, sometimes while no app is open, sometimes while browsing, sometimes while something else is open.

I've had Sierra running normally without any issues on the same machine with NVidia GPU.

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 (rev.1.0)

Intel i7 2600K

RX580 8GB

SSD Samsung 850 PRO

This is legacy BIOS system, motherboard does not support UEFI and its Sandy Bridge MB without IGPU support.

I attached results from RunMe.app.

I'm using only the following kexts:

AppleALC.kext

FakeSMC.kext

Lilu.kext

RealtekRTL8111.kext

Sometimes machine works normally for a day or two, sometimes it freezes multiple times a day.

It behaves very strange, when it freezes I usually press reset button. For some reason its not responding immediately, it takes about 5s and then just turns off instead of reset.

I have to press power button to turn it back on, and when it turns on.

I can't move cursor when it freezes and disk activity led on the case also stops and I can't login using SSH, so its a complete halt.

I tried suggestions to move GPU to the different PCI-e slot and setting fixed RAM multiplier, but that didn't change anything.

Send me iMac.zip

Edited by _Mirko_

Hey, could you open `console.app` or `/var/logs/system.log` and look at the system logs for `gpuRestart`? I have seen issues like the one you are describing when using an RX 580, it might be useful to rule that out as the cause for freezing your system.

On 9/4/2019 at 10:45 PM, Vinnymac said:

Hey, could you open `console.app` or `/var/logs/system.log` and look at the system logs for `gpuRestart`? I have seen issues like the one you are describing when using an RX 580, it might be useful to rule that out as the cause for freezing your system.

I've read some comments about gpuRestart, looks like people that have that issue can access system via SSH after freeze.

My machine cames to a complete halt. I don't see anything helpful in log file.

I managed to fix "bios reset after restart" by patching AppleRTC in Clover, but freezing is unfortunately still there :(