Attempting to install Mavericks, crashing on boot

W-Tiggeh

4 posts in this topic

(I know I'm using a distro, please bear with me. This is a copypaste from the Niresh forums, people seem to not care about old versions)

I'm trying to install Niresh Mavericks in an old laptop I have (I've mentioned this laptop in other "attempt" topics. It's one of the less cooperative devices I've seen!), with the following specs:

Laptop: Samsung RC420

CPU: Core i5-2410m (Sandy Bridge. I checked and it does support SSE4 / SSE4.1)

RAM: 8 GB (4gb x2)

Storage: 120 GB SSD

Graphics: Intel integrated.... + Nvidia 540m

The installer crashes right after this:

Read HFS+ file: [hd(31,0)/System/Library/Extensions.mkext] 4096 bytes
Read HFS+ file: [hd(31,0)/System/Library/Extensions.mkext] 15174552 bytes

I see "Starting Darwin x86_64" for a fraction of a second (had to actually record the process at 60fps to see it) and then the installer crashes, rebooting the system.

I tried:

· -v -s -x
· cpus=1
· GraphicsEnabler (both Yes and No)

· Manually setting "Graphics Mode" to "1024x768x32"

· Removing a RAM stick to only work with 4 GB

Without avail.

The BIOS doesn't provide many settings:
· EDB (Execute Disabled Bit) is set to Disable
· UEFI Boot Support is set to Disabled, otherwise the DVD doesn't boot
· Tried with AHCI set to Auto or Manual (with both Enabled and Disabled)
· It lists "CPU VT (VT-x)" as "Supported" but there's no actual setting to enable or disable it.

What can I do?

8 hours ago, Hervé said:

1st, don't use a distro, plain and simple.

2nd, if you use Niresh distro, why don't you seek support at their web site/forum?

This being said, you have a Sandy Bridge laptop so you either need AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement patch (pre-patched versions are easily found with a small Google search) or NullCPUPowerManagement.

Then Optimus not being supported on Hackintosh, you'll either have to disable nVidia to run exclusively on integrated HD3000 or you may be lucky and be able to run only on the nVidia GT 540M (Fermi) dGPU with Optimus enabled (or disabled). You'll have to check your BIOS options if there are any on that matter.

1.- I don't have access to a real Mac to get the original install iso/dmg/whatever and build a proper clean installer. If you can suggest some way to do it without a Mac, please be my guest.

2.- I stated at the very beginning that "This is a copypaste from the Niresh forumsand that "people seem to not care about old versions". I haven't gotten a single reply in the thread I posted there.

I've been looking for a while and I seem to fail to get the magic words for that easy Google search to get a pre-patched version. How was I to know what's the patch I have to install if I don't know the problem?

And... I'm pretty aware of the Optimus issue. I'm fine working with just the Intel graphics, provided there's decent support for it. (EDIT: as I mentioned in the 1st post, the BIOS is super limited. It has very few options. So nope, it doesn't have an option to pick a default graphics device)

I had tried Snow Leopard by using To**M*c's guides but I committed the crime of mentioning there that I had found the original image "somewhere" (in Archive.org, no less). Got B&'d as a result.

Considering I'm pretty new to this Hackintosh world (not counting the Aitkos V7 install I had used ages ago), that's precisely WHY I'm asking for help and to "please bear with me".

Edited by W-Tiggeh

Guest ricoc90
1 hour ago, W-Tiggeh said:

1.- I don't have access to a real Mac to get the original install iso/dmg/whatever and build a proper clean installer. If you can suggest some way to do it without a Mac, please be my guest.

For example: 

and 

OMG those links are awesome. I kept looking for the dmg itself and was only finding results to download the installer from the Mac App Store.

I'll give them a try, thank you!

EDIT: I ran into issues with each method. Posted in the respective topics...

Edited by W-Tiggeh