[Solved] macOS boot option is no longer present in Clover

4 posts in this topic

So basically, I think I screwed up.

Granted its not entirely my fault, but still.

I have, or had 2 partitions (plus the partitions macOS and Windows create). One macOS (my main) and Windows 10.

I had a perfect dual boot setup until I decided to resize my partitions.

Here is what I did:

Used macOS Disk Utility to create a FAT partition that I can use to extend my Windows partition.

Booted into Windows and realised Windows can’t really extend the C drive for some reason and thus I downloaded an app called EaseUs Partition Master.

I noticed 2 unallocated spaces, being paranoid I didnt want to touch them so I deleted the FAT volume I created in macOS.

I extended the C drive and left the unallocated space untouched.

Machine reboots, and I cant see my macOS boot option, only my Windows boot option.

I have since tried booting into a Mojave installer to try and repair it somehow but diskutil list shows the partition as a Windows Recovery partition of some kind?

Diskutil does not see my macOS APFS partition at all.

What happened here?

Did the program somehow screw up the APFS partition?

I am currently installing another copy of Mojave on another partition to try and recover any data I can.

Please advise.

Thank you.

EDIT: attached image shows what I am facing when trying to mount/repair the volume

NOTE: disk0s2 is supposed to be my original macOS partition that seems to be screwed up.

8686FDBB-2E33-427D-80B3-BC740CBAE8F8.jpeg

Edited by ImmersiveX

7 hours ago, Hervé said:

That "Windows Recovery" partition certainly is no APFS volume/container or macOS partition; as such, you won't be able to mount it. 'seems indeed like your original Mojave partition got screwed and was lost.

The only macOS partition currently existing is this APFS container that got created when you proceeded to install that "macOS2" partition. You'll have to reinstall Mojave on whatever disk space you retained after resizing (extending) your Windows partition.

I managed to use a tool called DiskDrill and recovered all the data.

Other tools and the one I mentioned recognize the partition structurers and APFS containers meaning that there might only be an issue with identifying the APFS partition.

Is there any way to rebuild it and or force a command to recognize it?

All of the data is still there, I just dont have an option to boot it.

On 8/4/2019 at 4:56 AM, ImmersiveX said:

I managed to use a tool called DiskDrill and recovered all the data.

Other tools and the one I mentioned recognize the partition structurers and APFS containers meaning that there might only be an issue with identifying the APFS partition.

Is there any way to rebuild it and or force a command to recognize it?

All of the data is still there, I just dont have an option to boot it.

You might want to try using gdisk to check the partition info and try correcting it. If the original APFS partition contents are still intact that other partitioning program might have just changed the type code. Download gdisk, disable SIP completely and install in your temporary macOS partition. Probably worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 2:52 AM, jpz4085 said:

You might want to try using gdisk to check the partition info and try correcting it. If the original APFS partition contents are still intact that other partitioning program might have just changed the type code. Download gdisk, disable SIP completely and install in your temporary macOS partition. Probably worth a try.

I ended up just backing up everything and installing from scratch, quite unfortunate and time consuming but it is what it is.

Thanks for the help though