Terminal Script: To Remove an application

Mac OSX Coder

6 posts in this topic

You would need to remove the app from the dock.plist (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist) and then restart the Dock (killall Dock).

But it won't give you the pretty poof and the Dock disappears for a few seconds while it restarts.

Yes, that was what I was saying.

Using the Terminal command "defaults write" (perform a "man defaults" in Terminal) on the plist, you can remove the name of the (single) app from the plist. Then issuing the Terminal command "killall Dock" restarts the Dock to display it with the app removed. All with Terminal. Note: "killall" doesn't remove all apps from Dock. It only kills all running processes spawned by Dock. Doing this causes Dock to be killed. But OSX forces it to immediately restart itself. Perform a "man killall" in Terminal. You should perform a "man" on any command you use in Terminal to find out how to use the command.

Where did I mention using any other program? Where did I mention removing more than one app from the Dock? You are the so-called "Mac OSX Coder", it should be easy for you.