Hardware questions for a Mac newbie

3 posts in this topic

First off, I tried the search, I think its too simple of a question.

Recently at college I have been finding myself ONLY using Mac's. I am planning on selling my spare PC box and picking up a used G4 box. We have 1Ghz dual Quicksilvers at school, thats what I want to get.

Are all Quicksilver/desktop Mac's (G4) dual processor? I see ads on craigslist and ebay and someone will say 800Mhz processor. Do they automatically mean dual 800Mhz processor? If they aren't all dual, what should I be looking for specifically?

Also I have a Samsung 930B 19" monitor. Will this be an issue running on an analog connection?

Thanks guys.

First off, I tried the search, I think its too simple of a question.

Recently at college I have been finding myself ONLY using Mac's. I am planning on selling my spare PC box and picking up a used G4 box. We have 1Ghz dual Quicksilvers at school, thats what I want to get.

Are all Quicksilver/desktop Mac's (G4) dual processor? I see ads on craigslist and ebay and someone will say 800Mhz processor. Do they automatically mean dual 800Mhz processor? If they aren't all dual, what should I be looking for specifically?

Also I have a Samsung 930B 19" monitor. Will this be an issue running on an analog connection?

Thanks guys.

looky here.

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/index.shtml

Not all G4 systems are dual processor.. in fact, from what i've seen on eBay MOST are not, with the dual systems commanding a premium price.

Not difficult to buy and install a dual upgrade CPU for the single processor systems, tho.. the logic boards have a single socket, but you're limited in many ways when doing so (bus speed. etc).

Just make sure whatever G4 you buy has the right video out for your monitor. A G4 can have a standard VGA, DVI, ADC (which looks a lot like a DVI) or a combination of the three.

A guy I know recently bought a G4 tower from a school auction, then assumed the video out was DVI, so he ordered a DVI to VGA adapter and waited a week for it to arrive, only to find out what he had was ADC.. which was Apples version of DVI and used a very similar plug.