Dual Xeon Gold platform, almost working, help needed

blackrunnero

7 posts in this topic

Hello

I have this build

Supermicro X11dpg-qt

2x Xeon Gold 6142 ES2(engineering samples)

64GB DDR4 ECC

AMD Vega 64

Asus Thunderboltex 3 AOC

Samsung 970 EVO system drive

Add-on USB 3.1, bluetooth and wifi card

It’s been a while since I am working on it, I managed to boot and install both Mojave and High Sierra. 

Performance is good BUT:

In macOS both GPU and TB card will work only on PCIe #9

if I move the GPU to any other port I will be stuck at “PCI configuration begin”

From my knowledge, this mainboard has PCIe lanes only from CPUs, none from PCH. 

Also, it has a onboard ASMedia gpu, one that cannot be turned of as the System Management Controller is the same AST2500 that has the video chipset. 

The onboard video show in System Profiler as a pci device with vendor and device IDs. 

So, using my Vega 64 on PCIe 9 makes the computer usable but I cannot install my thunderbolt card. 

I tried for about two weeks to make a clean EFI folder but I couldn’t get the rig to boot so my installation works by mixing some different Clover config files founded on various forums and personalised as I could do it better. 

If anyone is interested in this build or if anyone has the time to investigate my work so far please reply and I will upload the EFI and pics. 

Thank you

Edited by blackrunnero
Forgot to say thanks

Hello.

I wonder if you chose Xeon Gold 6142 ES2 because the number of cores is exactly 64, because the maximum number of cores supported by MAC is 64?

I used supermicro X11dpg + Xeon 8176x2 to try to fail the installation and guess if there was a limit on the number of kernels. Then I tried to use clover kerneltopach to modify the limit in the kernel to modify the maximum 64 kernels, but it still failed.

Sorry, my English is not good. I have used translation software. I hope you understand what I mean.

Edited by 891577385
I'm sorry I forgot to change the language before.

Hi

the translation did not appear, I used G.T. 

I chose 6142 because of the total price of the build and my available funds. 

From what I know, you can limit the number of active cores in bios in order to try installing. 

I tried the TSC adjust kext but I noticed no difference and I’m not using it. 

But, maybe you’ll need it. Look for an Insanely page called X299 iMac Pro Live the Future (author-KGP) and you will find a section that explains how to create or modify this kext according to you number of total threads(real+virtual). 

Here’s my EFI for Mojave, maybe will help you.

https://mega.nz/#!9V8mwKrD!iKhKs4sXyJmRat5pEKk7b2LSGsBdC_bWHyTATEZn8PU

Remember to stay UEFI only in BIOs, VT disabled, all the classic BIoS settings similar to X299 platforms and USE PCIe slot 9 for the GPU

I wish you all the best

Also, bare in mind the system drive options

if you’re on NVME please check if the drive it’s compatible with macOS

mine it’s Samsung 970 EVO and works great BUT

I tested with Samsung PM981, unusable on Mojave, partially working on High Sierra  with patch

I read some forums and seems like the new Samsung EVO Plus series are incompatible

I tested also with a Sabrent NVME, doesn’t work

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Than you Rockey12 but I don’t see anything in your reply. 

Edit - now, it just appeared. 

KGP build was my main source of info for my build. 

My configuration has some particularities which I think they’ll solve by thinking out-of-the-box and a bit of extra help. 

All the best

Edited by blackrunnero
Page refresh delayed