Automatic updates not working

frnic

2 posts in this topic

Some time ago prior to Mojave I was able to simply click the update now button and go get a cup of coffee and when I came back the update would be done. 

Now, I have to disconnect all drives except the boot disk Mojave is installed on, and then at reboot I have to select the "Installer" on the Preboot volume a couple times until the final stage of the update is on the MacOS volume. Then it will finish okay and I can reconnect all my other drives.

Is this "normal" now, or do I have something not setup correctly? It isn't hard, just annoying.

TIA,

Frank

High Sierra brought significant changes in the manner in which macOS is installed and updated. This continued with Mojave. The previous process which existed up until Sierra where you simply initiated an update and came back later with the latest version installed is indeed over and out. The revised process now involves rebooting the "install from..." partition and usually requires at least 2 reboots if not more.

I just don't see why you "have to disconnect all drives except the boot disk" unless, of course, you have so many that this disrupts Clover which is unable to list them all at reboot.

Edited by Hervé