Macbook power supply

striggell

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys I've been enjoying my new Macbook until my dog recently decided he would chew through the power cord (the one from the supply with the magnetic attachment). I've cut the cord thinking it would be a simple job to apply some solder and heatshrink and put the adaptor back into service. After cutting the cord I've noticed some fibre strands running the length of the cord - does anyone know what this is?? Some type of fibre optic?? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys I've been enjoying my new Macbook until my dog recently decided he would chew through the power cord (the one from the supply with the magnetic attachment). I've cut the cord thinking it would be a simple job to apply some solder and heatshrink and put the adaptor back into service. After cutting the cord I've noticed some fibre strands running the length of the cord - does anyone know what this is?? Some type of fibre optic?? any help would be greatly appreciated.

upload some photos maybe?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bikedude880

That fiber stuff is just material that they put into the cable. It really is nothing that you should be concerned about.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the replies yes the strands are actually nylon and are there to strengthen the cable I've repaired the cable and it works fine - you just have to get all of the nylon out of the way or I'm guessing it would melt all through the wire making soldering a hard job.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question regarding macbook power supply. Is it okay if I leave the power cord connected to the power jack while it's not connected to the Macbook power supply? Or it is safer to unhook the power cord from the jack? I carry my Macbook to the office and I want to use the power supply with the short head while leaving the power cord at home.