maxneko

7 posts in this topic

TLDR: I've gotten myself up a creek without even a working keyboard and mouse. 

My setup

Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard

Dual Asus Radeon R9 280x GPU's

i7 5930K CPU

G.Skill - Ripjaws Series 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Highpoint 2721 RAID controller + 4 hard drives

EVO 850 Pro SSD

Mojave 10.14.4

Profile: MacPro6,1

I had installed Mojave and had set it up to boot directly into my user account with no need for a password. Both Clover and IORegistryExplorer were set as log-in items. This was because I was working on activating my SS ports. The X99 Deluxe USB ports are set up as follows:

USB3_E1 to USB3_E10 at the rear (Asmedia controller)

USB_13 & USB_14 at the rear (Intel)

USB1112 & USB1314 (headers on the motherboard)

USB3_12 & USB3_34 (front)

This adds up to potentially 34 ports, far more than I need. I had three patches enabled to remove the 15 port limit but they weren't doing the trick. So I disabled the ten USB3 ports on the rear that are subject to the Asmedia controller in BIOS. I also disabled the Asmedia USB3 controller. All I really need are the four USB3 ports on the front panel, along with one of the motherboard USB2 headers. This should have gotten me down to under 15 ports. One SS port appeared in IORegistryExplorer but I couldn't locate it when I tested every active port.

I'm not sure what I did but everything went sideways. I found that I was booting into Mojave, Clover and IORegistryExplorer were launching but the mouse cursor was frozen in the corner and the keyboard was dead. Moving the keyboard and mouse to different ports didn't help. Meanwhile the OS was giving me a message about looking for a BT keyboard which I don't have. 

I've tried the following to no avail:

-- reinstalling Mojave

-- various combinations of USBInjectAll.kext, XHCI-X99-injector.kext, X99_Injector USB 3.kext, and GenericUSBXHCI.kext

-- resetting the CMOS

-- enabling and disabling the ten Asmedia USB3 ports on the rear

-- enabling and disabling the port limit patches below:

449604004_KextstoPatch.thumb.png.431f3623b1eccc06d88012af478b3b83.png

637926938_KerneltoPatch.thumb.png.f20c3cf198dbf2175f82a58b4065ec79.png

I haven't reflashed my BIOS which is something I do when starting from scratch, although I don't see why it would matter. I'm open to that, burning incense, whatever will help.  In the end, I need at least 1-2 working USB3 ports. But right now, I just need to get my keyboard and mouse working again. I've been going in circles on this all day and could really use some good ideas.

Thanks so much.

Max

config copy.plist

My problem is that even though the system boots, I can't actually do anything because the keyboard and mouse are frozen. Moving them to different USB ports hasn't helped so far.

Resolved by reflashing the BIOS and doing a clean installation to a different drive. This is much better.

xhc-ioregistry.png.bdebe8137298b0260b977fdf78c760d9.png

I guess the more we mess around with a startup partition, the more likely something like this becomes.

Edited by maxneko
Attachment was omitted.

• 5 months later...
On 4/20/2019 at 1:03 AM, maxneko said:

Resolved by reflashing the BIOS and doing a clean installation to a different drive. This is much better.

xhc-ioregistry.png.bdebe8137298b0260b977fdf78c760d9.png

I guess the more we mess around with a startup partition, the more likely something like this becomes.

Help me ASUS x99 Deluxe, HIGH SIERRA 10.3.6 GTX 770 4 gb, USB ports not working properly