How to disable specific NVMe M.2 slot via DSDT (hide unsupported 970 Evo Plus)

peanutman314

9 posts in this topic

As you might know the Samsung 970 EVO Plus variant causes major issues on hackintosh installs. I want to keep it plugged into my motherboard for use in Windows. However, if it's plugged in, macOS is going to try to index this disk eventually and it will crash macOS even though it's not the main install disk. 

Because I don't need this disk under macOS I thought it would be a good solution to somehow disable/hide the unsupported disk for macOS. I looked into doing this via Clover but couldn't find anything useful. I'm hoping I can disable the slot via a DSDT patch. I only want to disable one specific M.2 slot, the others should remain functional (I have another working M.2 disk). So disabling the driver is not an option.

I have very little experience with DSDTs and I have no idea how to do this. I recently created a USB injection patch using RehabMan's excellent guide, so I have some experience with the process, but no idea how to formulate the DSDT patch. 

I have a Gigabyte Aurus Pro z390 motherboard. Below is a screenshot of IORegistryExplorer showing the other working drive (not the one I want to disable, that one is not plugged in yet). 

I would be very grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction. If anyone knowns of a non-DSDT solution to disable a specific slot (but not all slots) then that's also fine of course.

Thank you for your time

2 hours ago, Hervé said:

Have you tried to simply unmount the associated partition in OS X/macOS and see it that avoids the issue? If it does, you can simply setup your Hackintosh not to mount the partition automatically at boot time.

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/11/24/prevent-partitions-from-mounting-mac/

That's not a bad idea, I will try this. Thank you for the suggestion. However, I'm not sure if this will fix the problem. It's not very clear if accessing the disk causes problems, or if simply having the disk in your motherboard is the issue. I'm just basing myself on the many many reports coming from other users and people only mention "incompatible firmware" as a reason.

2 hours ago, peanutman314 said:

That's not a bad idea, I will try this. Thank you for the suggestion. However, I'm not sure if this will fix the problem. It's not very clear if accessing the disk causes problems, or if simply having the disk in your motherboard is the issue. I'm just basing myself on the many many reports coming from other users and people only mention "incompatible firmware" as a reason.

post ur dsdt here, extract with f4 key in clover boot screen

15 hours ago, MaLd0n said:

post ur dsdt here, extract with f4 key in clover boot screen

In attachment you will find the DSDT. The slot I would like to disable is _SB.PCI0.RP09 (or  _SB.PCI0.RP09.PXSX ?).

I have no idea if I'm looking for a DSDT or SSDT patch. I found references to _SB.PCI0.RP09 in the DSDT and in  SSDT files 1, 5, 6 and 8. In IOReg it looks like this. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

image.png.8b1f2dd4b793f0962cdbc926b7892148.png

dsdt.zip

Edited by peanutman314

29 minutes ago, peanutman314 said:

In attachment you will find the DSDT. The slot I would like to disable is _SB.PCI0.RP09 (or  _SB.PCI0.RP09.PXSX ?).

I have no idea if I'm looking for a DSDT or SSDT patch. I found references to _SB.PCI0.RP09 in the DSDT and in  SSDT files 1, 5, 6 and 8. In IOReg it looks like this. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

dsdt.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

use some renames to avoid ssdt dependencies error

change GFX0 to IGPU

change HDAS to HDEF

change HECI to IMEI
494d4549 

change SAT0 to SATA

1 hour ago, MaLd0n said:

DSDT.aml.zip

use some renames to avoid ssdt dependencies error

change GFX0 to IGPU

change HDAS to HDEF

change HECI to IMEI
494d4549 

change SAT0 to SATA

Thank you very much for the help! I would like to learn to do this myself. May I ask what you changed?

1 hour ago, peanutman314 said:

Thank you very much for the help! I would like to learn to do this myself. May I ask what you changed?

-FIX ERRORS AND WARNINGS
-FIX ACPI ERRORS
-REMOVE UNUSED
-HIGH PRECISION EVENT TIMER
-SATA SERIE 10 ID
-DMAC
-FIX K.P in REBOOT
-SLPB
-DARWIN / WINDOWS 2015
-XHCI
-PLUGIN TYPE
-HDAS to HDEF
-HDEF
-REAL TIME CLOCK
-ARTC
-IPIC
-TIMR
-SBUS
-MIKEY
-BUS1
-MCHC
-ALS0
-SHUTDOWN
-UAR1
-LAN
-FWHD
-USBX
-PMCR
-PPMC
-XSPI
-GMM
-IMEI
-EC
-PNLF
-GFX0
-NVME disabled
-DTGP
-ACQUIRE MUT0 0XFFFF
-OPERATION REGION GPIO
-MUTEX MUT0 0x00
-EXTERNAL REFERENCES
-UNKNOWNOBJ
-HDMI / HDAU
-FULL RENAMED DEVICES

device is disabled now?

• 2 years later...
19 minutes ago, titeet said:

hi,

can i know why my post were deleted?

Off topic/Bumping - Please read our forum rules.

The best thing would be you create your own topic and wait til people reply you.

BR

fantomas