vin047

PCIE-SSD Option ROM AHCI help

1 post in this topic

I have a Kingston HyperX Predator PCIE-SSD (model: SHPM2280P2H) matched with an X58 motherboard (legacy bios). The card has a Marvell 88SS9293 controller with an Option ROM which allows it to be detected on my motherboard as a bootable drive - listed as "IDE: Kingston SHPM". As my BIOS is non-UEFI, I assume the Option ROM presents it in IDE mode instead of AHCI.

I use Clover legacy with BiosBlockIO to get around this, and it works well - Clover detects my drive and allows me to install macOS onto it and use it as a boot drive. macOS detects the drive correctly as a SATA AHCI drive. I guess Clover correctly detects (configures?) the Option ROM into AHCI mode and presents it as such to macOS - getting full speed read Read/Write performance. All is well.

Except waking from sleep. When waking from sleep, depending on clover config options + dsdt, I either get an immediate reboot or hang on black screen that requires hard reset. I eventually realised that nothing after entering sleep mode is recorded in the logs, its completely empty until next boot up. This makes me think that on resume from sleep, macOS isn't seeing the drive anymore (hence can't even write to logs). My assumption here is that the Option ROM is presenting/configuring the card in IDE mode, which is not what macOS is expecting.

This post describes the problem: 

and also has a solution: in dsdt, simply write the correct values to 0x40, 0x41, 0x42 (which must be the BAR0 register?) to configure Option ROM to use AHCI mode. But I have no idea what address BAR0 is on the Marvell 88SS9293 - there appears to be no documentation whatsoever on this controller available online!

I managed to dump the ROM using Linux sysfs, but don't have the skills to disassemble/decipher the binary to find the correct addresses. Anyone with such experience able to help?? I've attached the ROM dump and lspci output.

Thanks in advance!

rom.bin

lspci_output.txt

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ade866
      Hi everyone, I have been optimizing my Asus x54h for some time. But now I find myself with sierra 10.12.6 installed with the problem of sleep, well: as soon as I put the PC to sleep the fans keep running, after a while they stop for a second and then start to turn again waking up the PC. What do you think the problem is? The notebook is equipped with: Amd 6470M CPU intel core i3 2330m. 4gb Ram DDR3 SDRAM. Clover legacy bootloader.
      config.plist
      SSDT.aml
      DSDT.aml
      Andrea’s iMac.zip
    • By vhviveiros
      Hello guys!

I'm using a Samsung ativ book 2 np270e5g-xd1br, with i5-3230m/HM75, and everything is working fine, except by sleeping and wifi connection (the Hackintosh internet speed is about 10% of the windows/Linux, and sometimes It downs randomly).

I've tried a lot of tutorials but nothing solved my problem.

Hope you guys could help me

obs: I also figured that if I left the laptop for some minutes, It sometimes reboot.
      Send me MacBook-Pro.zip
    • By plisken
      Hey guys! 

So, this isn't my first time building a Hackintosh, I have done it a few times before. But this is the first time I have done a X299 build and oh boy is it harder! Fortunately at this point I have gotten most things down (I think!) and its running pretty smoothly. There are 2 main issues I need fixed. 1st is that Thunderbolt 3 doesn't seem to be detected at all by MacOS. 
      Here are my specs:

Intel Core i9 9900X, 
      64GB DDR4 RAM, 
      AMD WX5100 video card
      Asus Prime x299 Deluxe II motherboard

So in my case, this motherboard has Thunderbolt 3 and the controller all built in. No matter what I do it doesn't seem I can get it to show up under System Information in High Sierra. I have made sure my BIOS settings are what they need to be and have experimented but to no end. Any help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated!

Second issue is sleep/wake doesn't work. I made a quick small video showcasing the problem here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytzbr9swu95d8d5/Hackintosh Sleep Problem.MOV?dl=0

As you can see, when I press Sleep in High Sierra, it looks like it shuts down or goes to sleep instantly. But it just goes to a black screen, then dark, and nothing I do on the music and keyboard changes it. I have to reset the computer for it to respond again. Im not sure if the computer did actually go sleep and I just couldn't wake it or it indeed just crashed and need to be restarted. 

The 3rd issue isn't really that big of a deal but any insight is appropriate of course. When I check "About This Mac" under processor it says Unknown. How do I change that to what I actually have? I tried doing it through Clover Configurator but nothing happened or changed. 

If there is any information I forgot or skipped please let know and I will get back to you.

Thanks everyone!
    • By gk12345
      hello to everyone, i managed to install mojave on my asus ux303ub with i5 cpu and now sleep does not work when i press sleep display turns black and pc stays on and then i have to force shut down by holding power button in order to restart pc ,by the way i used the clover folder from a guide on the internet, any help would be appreciated, thanks
    • By vin047
      Hi, have an old Asrock X58 Deluxe motherboard with an i7-920 Nehalem CPU (yes old board ) + AMD RX460 . As per the title, i've managed to get Mojave installed and running with Speed Step working too!

Final issue i'm having is with sleep - it sleeps fine and even responds to keyboard/mouse event, but instead of waking up to the desktop it restarts and loads from BIOS boot screen. When finally booted into macos, it restores as if restored from unexpected shutdown (though no error is shown).

I've tried for days to get it working, sometimes depending on clover config changes, I can get it to wake up without reboot, but it just remains at a black screen and is unresponsive. 

I have no custom DSDT, i've tried writing one but don't know really know what i'm looking for? Currently relying on clover patches. I've uploaded my original DSDT (dumped from Clover, F4 option) + current config. Anyone have any ideas?
      dsdt original.zip
      config.plist.zip