Should I upgrade for vista?

trav1085

3 posts in this topic

I have Windows Vista RTM (using a valid RC1 license, if it counts :pirate2:) on my Dell Dimension 1100, Intel Celeron D 2.6GHz 512MB RAM (2x256mb), 80GB HD and a Intel Extreme Graphics 2 onboard video.

I am getting a new ATI Radeon x1600 Pro 512MB VRAM PCI-E this weekend for $199 from Staples. Is this a good card? Will it run Hitman and Splinter Cell games correctly (mainly those I want to play, the latest ones)?

I am really considering spending the extra something amount on 1GB of RAM (2x512mb as I only have two slots).

I currently get a 1.0 on the rating, as my graphix card gives the the bad rating, while I get around 3 and 5.2 on the others (although I thought it was out of five.)

The x1600 Pro is a good card and you should be happy with it. You will be able to play just about any game at around the 1280x1024 range or under, you can go higher but you may lose some affects. The only problem with ATi and games is some games need patches to get full support out of your card, while the same type of stuff might be included with NVidia and current drivers. Don't let that persuade you if you really like that card and you think it's a good price :pirate2:

If you can afford it, get the 2x512, it will definitely help out.