Booting High Sierra

gazza35

6 posts in this topic

Hi peeps

Was hoping someone might be able to help me with a booting problem.

I was running High Sierra with an Amd Radeon HD 7770,  Due to whatever reason, it went bang this morning, dead lol,  So i still had my old geforce 9600 GT 512mb lying around, ive put that back in for the moment, BUT, now i cant boot, at all.

Ive tried alsorts of different things, boot flags, different clover options etc etc, but it just wont boot to the system at all.

Anybody got any ideas how to get this to boot or does someone have a working EFI folder that would boot this, any help very much appreciated, specs are in my sig, just with an old geforce at moment tho, rest is the same.

5 hours ago, Hervé said:

You would just need to inject Nvidia and remove all references previously made to the dead Radeon. You should be able to boot to Clover main menu and, from there, modify the graphics settings to boot to High Sierra desktop. Then, you'll be able to modify your Clover config to adjust the settings on a permanent basis.

Hi thanks, ive tried all of that with no joy,  boot args, ive removed reference to Radeon, ive ticked in clover, Inject Nvidia, ive then tried with no boot flags, and also using GraphicsEnabler flag and nothing, nothing at all booting.  I believe it could be related not so much to clover but maybe a kext missing from the efi folder, or something in there that shouldnt be.

4 hours ago, Hervé said:

GraphicsEnabler flag? Erm... that's a Chameleon/Enoch option!

Is it, no idea, listed as a clover boot option here n there, but, i think ur right i think a lot of what ya read on many different sites is redundant or rubbish.. OK IM IN, used a mojave bootable installer to get back into high sierra, it worked, running like a bag of spanners, so i decided i just install Mojave, and that should sort it all out, Guess what, Mojave cant be installed on my computer ha ha ha. OMG!!!!!!.  Ok Herve, outta curiosity, whats the min spec for Mojave do you know??, curious why i cant install it, surely i could, unless again its because my Nvidia is ancient.  I will be buying a new 3d card next few days when im not at work, although im not going bk to Radeon, gonna stay with Nvidia now as they seem to be less hassle for Mac Os

17 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Mojave only supports graphics cards that are Metal compatible. Regarding nVidia cards, support is limited to cards of the Kepler generation (at which Metal compatibility started) and those work OOB. However, no subsequent nVidia generation (eg: Maxwell, Pascal, ...) is supported due to lack of native drivers and lack of nVidia Web Driver (Apple and nVidia having separated pending divorce, reconciliation unlikely for the time being).

Your older Tesla GT9600 is not Metal compatible and therefore will not work under Mojave per sé, but you can still get OpenGL-only graphics acceleration with minor defects if you install/cache/inject the nVidia drivers from High Sierra. 10.13 still supported those nVidia architectures... 

On the AMD front, Metal compatibility starts with GCN1.0 architecture. As such, your Radeon HD 7770 would have worked with Lilu + WEG kexts and the radpg=15 boot option/parameter, had it not die..

For the rest, Mojave requires a CPU with full SSE4.1/SSE4.2 instructions set, so older C2D/C2Q with SSE4.1-only instructions are not supported, at least not officially and not without a little trick (cf. telemetry plugin rollback). Your Sandy Bridge i5-2400 CPU meets the required specs on that front.

In most cases, Mojave cannot be installed because of:

1) specifications not matching the minimum requirements (CPU, graphics card)

2) incorrect Clover settings, especially the selected SMBIOS model

Thankyou thats great info, So id probably be better sticking with AMD then??,  i play games so i need a card DX11 and newer, could you recommend an Nvidia thatd be a gaming card but also supported by Mojave thats DX11 or newer.  If there isnt one then im glad i havent wasted money yet, may well have to stick with an AMD card but newer than the one i had.

Hervé Thanks for all the help, it is appreciated, after careful consideration what you said i have purchased a new PSU and a Sapphire Hd 7970 Dual-x card, all fitted and running with the windows side, so there should be the ability to install Mojave now, still not letting me at the moment, but i think thats because my i5 setup reports as an imac 12-1, which, from what ive read, is probably slightly too old for Mojave, at least i think thats the issue, so i just need to find a newer compatible smbios config if i can and then ill try again.

Regards

6 hours ago, gazza35 said:

Hervé

Ok, quick update - All done, everything spot on, used clover configurator, switched my bios from 12.1 to 16.2 which is more in line with my spec, booted Mojave installer, went on perfect first time, everything updated and running great in a lovely Dark mode, i love it, Mojave is so much better!!!, but again, your advice regarding Graphics cards was what really helped, thanks again.