Mojave 10.14.X on Z77X-UD5H - Complete guide

Fabiuzi

19 posts in this topic

Enjoy ;-)

macOS Mojave Installation Guide.pdf

Also update to latest AppleALC if you are experiencing trouble with audio after wake after installing 10.14.4+.

Update April 2021: The MacPwn project from Niresh was moved to hackintoshshop.com, so the links in the guide won't work anymore. Such a pity!

Step 2 link: https://www.hackintoshshop.com/2022/hackintosh-mojave-guide/

Step 3 link: https://community.hackintoshshop.com/files/file/47/download-hackintosh-mojave/?do=download (registration mandatory)

Step 4 link: Won't work anymore. You need to download yourself the Mojave vanilla 10.14.0 installer from the App Store if you have a mac, or with a torrent client.

Since I will start working on a new guide for 11.0 Big Sur I won't update the links in the attached pdf. Bottom line is you need a bootable USB installer with the macpwn on it and then you need the vanilla Mojave installer from macOS itself.

I will post a new guide for Big Sur when I managed to install it. 

Good luck!

Edited by Fabiuzi

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get this guide to work, following your guide. MacPwn did it's thing but I can't get it to boot from the USB stick. I have these options from the bios boot selection:

Built-In EDK Shel

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

Install macOS Mojave

I select the "Install macOS Mojave" but then I get the circle with a slash through it. No other way to proceed. Does MacPwn create other bootable partitions? If so, the Bios can't see them.

EDIT- Yep, I checked with Clover Configurator on another install and the MacPwn didn't create any UEFI partitions on the USB, just the install Mojave partition.

Edited by hoffsta
added info

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 11:00 PM, hoffsta said:

Do you have any guidance on how to dual boot with a second SSD running Windows 10? Anytime I connect a second drive, clover won't boot up. Thanks!

I never used a dual boot sorry.... I would search this on Google

On 12/29/2018 at 11:41 PM, hoffsta said:

Also, the Ozmosis BIOS is from 2013. Any reason the latest Gigabyte 16j from Nov. 2017 wouldn't work or be better?

No, you can try another. But it is the one from my setup which will work 100%. Just flash it with Ozmosis, follow the guide untill everything works. Then flash to the one you prefer and if it works, the better ;-)

On 12/30/2018 at 12:01 AM, hoffsta said:

I can't get this guide to work, following your guide. MacPwn did it's thing but I can't get it to boot from the USB stick. I have these options from the bios boot selection:

Built-In EDK Shel

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

Install macOS Mojave

I select the "Install macOS Mojave" but then I get the circle with a slash through it. No other way to proceed. Does MacPwn create other bootable partitions? If so, the Bios can't see them.

EDIT- Yep, I checked with Clover Configurator on another install and the MacPwn didn't create any UEFI partitions on the USB, just the install Mojave partition.

It means you didn't follow the guide completely, read ALL instructions, including the creation of a bootable usb. It is one of the prerequisites. ;-)

Thanks for this! Made things way easier for me. Haven't redone my OS since Yosemite! I've got the Rev 1.0 board, and it's working great with the stock bios update straight from Gigabyte.

Question though— have you had any luck getting bluetooth to work (assuming you have the bluetooth/wifi board)?

13 hours ago, JaySwizzle said:

Thanks for this! Made things way easier for me. Haven't redone my OS since Yosemite! I've got the Rev 1.0 board, and it's working great with the stock bios update straight from Gigabyte.

Question though— have you had any luck getting bluetooth to work (assuming you have the bluetooth/wifi board)?

No I don't have bluetooth/wifi. I use ethernet for internet. 

So I assume you have this board? GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB? It is slightly different from mine and that's why I dont have bt/wifi.

If yes, could you confirm you have following all working:

• Full Graphics QE/CI
  • Turbo boost
  • XMP
  • Sleep/wake without any problem
  • USB3
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Audio

Then I will add your board to the guide ;-)

Glad to hear it is also working with stock BIOS!

15 hours ago, Fabiuzi said:

No I don't have bluetooth/wifi. I use ethernet for internet. 

So I assume you have this board? GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB? It is slightly different from mine and that's why I dont have bt/wifi.

If yes, could you confirm you have following all working:

• Full Graphics QE/CI
  • Turbo boost
  • XMP
  • Sleep/wake without any problem
  •  USB3
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Audio

Then I will add your board to the guide ;-)

Glad to hear it is also working with stock BIOS!

Yeah, that's the board I have — GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB

as far as confirming:

• Full Graphics QE/CI - Don't totally know how to confirm exactly. Not using on-board gfx. Radeon 7950 works out of the box and is able to run 2 monitors at full resolution. Also got a good Geekbench score on it.  
  • Turbo boost - Working
  • XMP - Working
  • Sleep/wake without any problem - Working
  • USB3 - All USB ports are working and functioning as they should (USB2 and USB3)
  • Gigabit Ethernet - Only Intel is working. I installed the InstelMausiEthernet v2.4.0 driver with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and I have Ethernet upon wake. Have yet to confirm speeds, however. Atheros will just not seem to work for me.
  • Audio - Built in audio working, but I'm using a firewire audio interface (Saffire Pro 40) for my main audio, which is also working.
  • SATA - All ports working.
  • eSATA - Have not tested, don't need.
  • iMessage - Had to run iMessage fixer, still having some issues syncing messages from my iPhone X.
  • iCloud - works perfectly

On 1/16/2019 at 11:26 PM, JaySwizzle said:

Yeah, that's the board I have — GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB

as far as confirming:

• Full Graphics QE/CI - Don't totally know how to confirm exactly. Not using on-board gfx. Radeon 7950 works out of the box and is able to run 2 monitors at full resolution. Also got a good Geekbench score on it.  
  • Turbo boost - Working
  • XMP - Working
  • Sleep/wake without any problem - Working
  • USB3 - All USB ports are working and functioning as they should (USB2 and USB3)
  • Gigabit Ethernet - Only Intel is working. I installed the InstelMausiEthernet v2.4.0 driver with ##### and I have Ethernet upon wake. Have yet to confirm speeds, however. Atheros will just not seem to work for me.
  • Audio - Built in audio working, but I'm using a firewire audio interface (Saffire Pro 40) for my main audio, which is also working.
  • SATA - All ports working.
  • eSATA - Have not tested, don't need.
  • iMessage - Had to run iMessage fixer, still having some issues syncing messages from my iPhone X.
  • iCloud - works perfectly

The graphics is easy to test: if you have any glitches, or color issues, or weird things on your screen or screen 'hangs' or anything else unusual, it is not working... So I guess yours is working as it should ;-)

Thanks for the elaborate feedback!

Strange though iMessage isn't working yet. It is a pain in the ass to get it fully working if it is giving you trouble. I hope you find a solution but I'm afraid I cant help you with that!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There was this issue i didn't paid too much attention too in my case, which was to preview JPEG files in finder, or open them with Preview. It was always spinning wheel or crashing Preview... I found a very easy solution for this:

Mojave installed an internal list of which Mac model can use hardware de-/encoding for images and other files.
This makes some Mac SMBIOS definitions (e.g. the vanilla iMac 14,2 definition I use) incapable of showing images in Preview, as your hardware might not actually support hardware encoding/decoding but the Finder assumes it will because of this new setting.

To change this, we have to remove the entry that tells the Finder it should use hardware image processing for your SMBIOS definition. So that's all - removing an entry from a plist file. Follow these steps:

1. In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and enter this to go to find the file:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleVPA.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist 

2. Copy this file and save it somewhere for restoration purposes later if needed.

3. Open the original file in its original location

4. In that file, find your used Mac Board ID.

5. Once you have found that entry in the Info.plist file, it will look like this:

<key>Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61</key>
<dict>
<key>forceOfflineRenderer</key>
<true/>
<key>jpeg</key>
<true/>
</dict>

6. DELETE this section.
7. SAVE.
8. Restart.

• 3 weeks later...

can't get the sleep to work

it wakes up after minutes or so monitor is sleeping but if i press any key it will come back on.

My Build # 1 : GA-Z77X-UD5H | i7-3770K (Ivy Bridge) | RX 580 | Mohave 10.14.6 (sleep and wake doesn't work)

Edited by dodo

Remove the RX580 and as much possible devices and try again... Just keep CPU, SSD, motherboard, keyboard and mouse... Then it should work. If it still doesn't work then you have to start all over again untill this basic setup works... good luck!

• 4 months later...