Snow Leopard on Virtualbox

10 posts in this topic

Hi.

I have posted this same question, but the thread is dead so please don't close this. I recently purchased a genuine apple Snow Leopard install disk and want to run it on virtualbox. They got rid of the Snow Leopard server option, so how do I do this? I was looking at this guide. Is there a version of the commands mentioned in the article that can make Snow Leopard run?

thanks in advance,

yoyojoe

I got it to boot using the Snow Leopard setting and efi boot, but it boots to the "beach ball of death". I have tried many cpu profiles, listed: VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Xeon X5482 3.20GHz", VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-2635QM", VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-3960X", VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i5-3570", VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-5600U", VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-6700K". None make the beach ball go away. Is there something I am missing to make it get past the beach ball? Or should I just leave my pc on and see if the beach ball goes away?

yoyojoe

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have Snow Leopard running in VirtualBox on a ten year old legacy PC. I did it using this guide. I wanted to use Clover and a later OS but absolutely nothing I tried worked and I followed several guides for several OS using different methods. I also had the same problem as in your last screenshot when attempting some of those other guides.

I have a couple of tips... make your dynamic virtual hard drive at least 40GB as resizing a macOS guest in VirtualBox is not straightforward although it is possible. Also never, never take a snapshot of your macOS when it is running. It will cause your mouse to freeze within the guest OS and can not be recovered. Snapshots are invaluable and should be taken after you have shut down the guest macOS. Do not allow VirtualBox to capture your mouse, there is a preference to turn it off and you don't need it.

Other than that I found Snow Leopard in VirtualBox felt better than when I tried it ten years ago and I was able to upgrade to the final version of Snow Leopard with no issues.