Will there ever be another Quo-type motherboard?

PowerTower mini

6 posts in this topic

The Quo showed it was possible to make a motherboard that could handle a completely vanilla OS X install, but the parties behind it seemed to be incompetent or maybe were just in over their heads. So they're apparently gone and we've had no new versions in five years and five generations of Intel processors. What are the odds that anyone will ever make a MB like that again using current technology? Wasn't the Quo just a modified Gigabyte Z77-MX mobo with Thunderbolt and Firewire controllers added? Shouldn't be that difficult to adapt a Z370 motherboard design, since some already have on-board headers to attach Thunderbolt interface cards, so they're TB-ready but people don't have to pay for it if they don't need it. Firewire is a dead technology, so that wouldn't need to be grafted on anymore. People like IronmanJFF are still updating the Quo BIOS. Is there any reason they couldn't do the same for a current board? Basically, in terms of hardware and firmware, I don't see any obstacles. Are there any?

I suppose Apple may eventually make such a board obsolete by absolutely requiring the T2 chip to run a future version of MacOS, but that shouldn't be for a while since the vast majority of Macs don't have the T2 yet.

its not that easy to build a motherboard from scratch. you need compatible Chips set and cpu. then find a motherboard manufactuer to build it for you. plus develop a bios.

The Quo motherboard is still working now (and that's a credit to all involved in a brave project. I bought one from the kickstart program. my friend is still using it)

The Quo was a slightly modified version of an existing motherboard, not something designed from scratch. The Z77MX already had most of what the Quo needed, the only differences being Thunderbolt and FireWire. Indeed, the model number of the board is the Z77MX-QUO-AOS. It should be possible to adapt a Gigabyte Z370 mobo design that already has components known to be compatible. The hard part is the BIOS, but IronmanJFF keeps updating that. There have to be some people around here who have the skill to compile a modified Phoenix BIOS just as the original HermitCrab team did.

Yes, the Quo still works, but it's five generations old, soon to be six. Isn't that the reason you're not using it anymore yourself?

That's my point. I saw your sig. The Quo doesn't meet your needs. It's too old. Not an awful lot of people want a five-year-old mobo. Meanwhile, even with your modded BIOS, I'm sure you have to deal with kexts and drivers, which a lot of people don't want to have to mess with. They don't want to worry about whether the next .1 update will break their system because of not just an outdated BIOS, but outdated kexts.

i been in the hackintosh seen a long time, and its get a lot easier to get a hack up and running. than the early days. with a lot  of great tools developed. but. it still take a bit of research to keep a stable hackintosh running well. and a good hobby. but its got alot more main stream. and people can  build a hackintosh with very little knowlage about the os or bootloaders

i dont think a new motherboard will happen. as apple may be using a none intel cpu and T2 chip impcations. i think we will always have to hack and make do as best we can