HDMI Audio on HP Envy 17-ae100

mnfesq

5 posts in this topic

My laptop has the Intel UHD 620 IGPU and an Nvidia MX150 DGPU that is disabled in my DSDT in order to get macOS to boot.  The BIOS does not allow me to select my GPU.  I have to use the Intel.  However, my HDMI port is physically connected to to my Nvidia gpu (at least I believe it is.). Initially, I could not get HDMi video or audio to work.  I installed the NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext because I learned that recent beta versions of Mojave allow dual graphics cards.  I could not get my Nvidia gpu to load but, to my surprise, HDMI video works.  HDMI audio, however, does not work and I really don't know what, if anything, I can do unless I can get the Nvidia gpu to load.  Any ideas?

Edited by mnfesq

5 hours ago, Hervé said:

HDMI audio usually requires to patch the graphics layout used in order to inject HDMI connector-type 0008 0000 into the relevant display output port.

If you can post a zipped saved output of, say, IORegistryExplorer app when your HDMI is connected, we can look this up.

Here you are.  Thanks for taking a look.  Let me know if you need me to post anything else.

mnfesq's HP Envy 17.zip

So I tried this out last night without success.  Your explanation is excellent and I see no reason why it wouldn't work.  However, I have some observations:  

I  have been trying to use Whatevergreen and, initially, I lost QE/CI.  I was able to get it to load after a few more attempts and it worked in some ways but not in others.  It seemed to be an adequate substitute for IntelGraphicsFixup and CoreDisplay, but not for NvidiaGraphicsFixup.  Using Whatevergreen instead of NvidiaGraphicsFixup, I lost HDMI video.  HDMI video returned when I restored NvidiaGraphicsFixup along with Whatevergreen.  Whatevergreen also broke sleep on my laptop for some reason so I am back to using IntelGraphicsFixup, NvidiaGraphicsFixup and CoreDisplay without Whatevergreen.

Also, based on your analysis that HDMI is coming from my UHD 620, I changed my config.plist and removed Inject Nvidia in Graphics.  That prevented my laptop from booting with NvidiaGraphicsFixup.  Restoring Nvidia injection with NvidiaGraphicsFixup resolved that issue.

I am using VoodooHDA rather than AppleHDA and I have started experimenting with a switch to the Apple driver.  I have not been successful yet but, I tried some different configs in VoodooHDA and, while normally when I select HDMI audio, the audio indicator in the menu bar is grayed out, once I got it so that it remained black but the volume indicators were gone (which might be normal since HDMI audio is controlled by the device's volume control.). It didn't really matter, however, because I had not sound coming from the HDMI audio device with that configuration.

One last thing, when I run IOReg Explorer, it still says that my connector type is 0004, not 0008.  

EDIT:  I've been working on this for a while today and, using some patches Toleda has on his Github, I have been able to change the connector type for FB@1 to 0008.  Here's a new IOReg file. Still, no HDMI audio. Still, I get no HDMI at all unless I use NvidiaGraphicsFixup.

mnfesq's HP Envy 17.zip

Edited by mnfesq

14 hours ago, Hervé said:

Well, lack of HDMI audio now probably results from using VoodooHDA rather than patched AppleHDA or AppleALC with the appropriate codec layout injection. You could post us a screenshot of DPCIManager app since that should display the audio codec now that you run on VoodooHDA.

I don't know if VoodooHDA is a problem but most people are not as familiar with it as I am. I am willing to use AppleHDA but so far, I have been unsuccessful with it using layout-id 3, 13, and 28 along with AppleALC.kext.  My codec is Realtek ALC295.  Here's the screenshot you suggested:

Untitled.thumb.png.39339b481020e6434d342c39fbaa00e8.pngThanks.

Edited by mnfesq

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

According to the AppleALC wiki, the layouts you can try for ALC295 are: 1, 3, 13, 14, 15, 28.

No go on any of those or id 12, which is brand new for the HP Envy.  However, I tried a patched version of AppleHDA and attempted to backup the original but it didn't back up so now, I don't have a clean copy of AppleHDA for Mojave Beta 8.  Could you please upload yours so I can try these with the correct kext?  Thanks.