Maybe a DSDT patch would solve my woes?

gotmilk70

1 post in this topic

Hey everyone,

So I decided to move on from my aging Alienware M15x and graduate to something newer. I picked up an HP Elitebook 8770w Mobile Workstation laptop and also added some upgrades. In theory, it should be a lot more compatible than my older laptop. But of course, I ran into some trouble. Let me provide a little information about it. First, ze specks!

HP Elitebook 8770w Mobile Workstation --

Intel QM77 Mobile Express Chipset
Intel Core i7-3840QM Mobile Processor (2.8Ghz Base / 3.8Ghz Turbo)
16GB Crucial Balistix Sport DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
nVidia Geforce GTX 970M 6GB GDDR5 Graphics (No Intel iGPU, it is turned off by OEM/BIOS)
1x 480GB Seagate 600 SSD (Win10) / 1x 500GB Samsung 850 mSATA SSD (macOS) / 1TB Hitachi 7200RPM HDD (Storage)
Broadcom BCM94532HMB WiFi/BT Combo card
IDT High Definition Audio IDT (92HD80)
Running macOS 10.13.5 on Clover UEFI r4558 (APFS File format)

Now on to what works and what does not:

Video: Not working. Tried enabling through clover and installed the newest nVidia web drivers. Does not boot without nv_disable=1.
Audio: Not working, may need to patch AppleHDA. Need to read the guides on it, but not as important as video now.
Power Management: When generating my own SSDT w/ssdtPRGen, System does not boot properly. Gets stuck on kext Stall[0] error. Started to use generated DSDT. Also enabled IvyXPCM
WiFi: Working. Used the FakePCI kexts. Handoff/Airdrop supported.
Bluetooth: Working. Used the FakePCI/BCRM patch files. Instant Hotspot supported.
Sleep: ? Have not tried due to incomplete Power Management.
Brightness: Does not work. Assuming due to Graphics not working correctly.
Battery: Not working. Tried Rehabman's ACPI Battery Kext and gave ACPI errors on verbose boot.
USB: So far as I can tell working.
Keyboard/Trackpad: So far working.
Camera: Working.
App Store: Working

I have done quite a bit of research and searching for other people that have this laptop does not show anyone with a High Sierra installation. Took a while just to get the settings right to actually install the OS. Used the latest available Clover build (r4558) and followed Rehabman's Probook guide using the 8x70p profile. After a reboot, does not start. Started up with USB and it boots with nVidia disabled. Audio and others at that point still was not working. I had to reinstall macOS due to it not booting at all when installing all of the repositories and files.

This time I decided to do a clean install. Extracted my own DSDT/SSDT, patched and compiled it. When adding the SSDT generated from ssdtPRGen, the system does not boot. I edited the config.plist to enable the Nvidia web drivers but no luck. For now, I am using my DSDT and nVidia disabled. I have tried everything I was able to research how to do. I would like to get at least video and power management working. I tried the MacBookPro 10,1/11,1 profiles and tried to Override the EDID, no go. I also tried to inject the GPU through DSDT, that did not work.

I tried various fixes and all did not work. I have been working on this for a while and maybe I am just missing something. If anyone can provide any insight or help, I would greatly appreciate it. I would attach my DSDT files as necessary, but it keeps failing every time I try to add an attachment on here. Please let me know how I can provide any files to anyone who is willing to help! Thanks!

Edited by gotmilk70