HP Envy 17-ae100

mnfesq

17 posts in this topic

I am having a few problems with my laptop which I believe may all be related.

1.  I cannot boot to the desktop unless I do so in single-user mode.  When I get to the prompt in single-user mode, I only need to type "exit" and then it will boot up.

2.  Sleep does not work.

3.  When I shut down the laptop, the OS shuts down but the laptop does not power off.  I have to press and hold down the power button until it powers off.

I believe that all of these defects are the result of the fact that I cannot disable the Nvidia GPU in my DSDT.  My DSDT is the messiest DSDT I have seen and it does not seem to have any of the methods needed to patch the DSDT to disable the discrete GPU.  Specifically, it does not appear that there are power methods associated with PEGP and there are 3 PEGP's - one for PEG0, PEG1 and PEG2.  I'm not a complete doofus when it comes to editing DSDT's but I could use some help/guidance/collaboration with this.  I have attached the unpatched DSDT and SSDTs that were generated by using F4 in Clover.  I have a patched DSDT that I use to enable the brightness slider and to change screen brightness using my F2 and F3 keys.  It also changes GFX0 to IGPU and other similar changes.  For this purpose, however, I thought it best to work with the unpatched files.  Thanks.

origin.zip

2 hours ago, mnfesq said:

Thanks, MaLdon.  I've tried the DSDT method of adding an empty _DSM and it didn't work for me.  I don't think the DSDT you made for me worked either, at least, not yet.  Here's the files you requested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t4mv9d5ptmqrpks/Send me Michaels-HP-Envy-25.zip?dl=0

CLOVER.zip

Thanks MaLdOn.  You were able to disable the Nvidia GPU.  I recognize the Clover files you posted because I used your tutorial when I first installed High Sierra on this laptop.  I have several green/red tagged files in my Clover kexts.  :)  

I had to make several modifications to the files you sent me and added some DSDT patches.  The screen was really dim with the IntelBacklight.kext, which I didn't need at all, and I added a simple PNLF patch to my DSDT instead of the SSDT you provided.  

So the effect of all this was to enable sleep, which is awesome.  I also now have proper settings in System Preferences for my power profile on battery, which was not showing up previously even though the battery was displaying properly in my menu bar.

However, I still have to boot in single-user mode or video  doesn't load, and when I shut down the OS, the laptop stays powered on and I have to hold the power button down until the power shuts off.  I will look into my power button settings in my DSDT.  I'm not sure yet what will get my video to load during second stage boot when I use the first stage boot graphics.  I will appreciate any additional help you are willing to provide.  You have already done a LOT to help me get this laptop working properly. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by mnfesq

7 hours ago, mnfesq said:

Thanks MaLdOn.  You were able to disable the Nvidia GPU.  I recognize the Clover files you posted because I used your tutorial when I first installed High Sierra on this laptop.  I have several green/red tagged files in my Clover kexts.  :)  

I had to make several modifications to the files you sent me and added some DSDT patches.  The screen was really dim with the IntelBacklight.kext, which I didn't need at all, and I added a simple PNLF patch to my DSDT instead of the SSDT you provided.  

So the effect of all this was to enable sleep, which is awesome.  I also now have proper settings in System Preferences for my power profile on battery, which was not showing up previously even though the battery was displaying properly in my menu bar.

However, I still have to boot in single-user mode or video  doesn't load, and when I shut down the OS, the laptop stays powered on and I have to hold the power button down until the power shuts off.  I will look into my power button settings in my DSDT.  I'm not sure yet what will get my video to load during second stage boot when I use the first stage boot graphics.  I will appreciate any additional help you are willing to provide.  You have already done a LOT to help me get this laptop working properly. :thumbsup_anim:

send me new files with last folder and actual files

RunMe.app.zip

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaLd0n said:

fix some acpi errors

DSDT.aml.zip

shutdown, restart work?

Thanks for the fix.  I still have the same 2 problems.  

When I shut down macOS, the screen goes black and the fans shut off, but the LED light on the power button and the hard drive activity LED stay on until I hold the power button down for a few seconds and they go out.  

Also, I have to boot in single-user mode or I cannot get to second stage boot.  The video drivers do not load when I boot normally.

I appreciate all of your help.

17 minutes ago, mnfesq said:

Thanks for the fix.  I still have the same 2 problems.  

When I shut down macOS, the screen goes black and the fans shut off, but the LED light on the power button and the hard drive activity LED stay on until I hold the power button down for a few seconds and they go out.  

Also, I have to boot in single-user mode or I cannot get to second stage boot.  The video drivers do not load when I boot normally.

I appreciate all of your help.

DSDT.aml.zip

try

if don't work, try without SD card kext

about video is a bug, no? u try a fresh install?

No luck with or without the SD card kext.  I backed up my system and will try a fresh install.  It's true that I did a fresh install and then restored a time machine back up from my old computer.  That may have caused problems.

On 5/17/2018 at 3:35 PM, MaLd0n said:

DSDT.aml.zip

try

if don't work, try without SD card kext

about video is a bug, no? u try a fresh install?

So the video problem was not a bug.  I did try a fresh install and still had the same problem.  After that, I took a look at my Clover kexts and found the problem:  My laptop does not require and cannot use the IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext.  I don't know how much shared video memory it has but it is apparently in excess of 32 MB.

My last problem is that, when I shut down macOS, the laptop does not power off.  The LED lights stay lit and, if the fans were running at shutdown, they keep on running.

Edited by mnfesq

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally was able to fix my shutdown problem.  The answer was in a 2011 post by Cassio on the Olarilla forum.  (I know you saw it there but I am posting this in case someone else here has the same problem.). Cassio wrote that shutdown problems are typically BIOS-specific, which makes perfect sense.  He posted some DSDT patches for different brands of motherboards.  I assumed mine was an Intel board (just a lucky guess actually) and it worked.  Here's the patch:

# Change method _PTS where Arg0 is 0x05 (shutdown)
#
into method label _PTS code_regex_not If\s*\(LEqual\s*\(Arg0,\s*0x05\)\) code_regex ^((?:.|\n)*)$ replace_matched
begin
        If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))\n
        {\n
            Store (Zero, SLPE)\n
            Sleep (0x10)\n
        }\n
        Else\n
        {\n
%1
        }
end;
into definitionblock code_regex . code_regex_not OperationRegion\s*\(PMRS insert
begin
OperationRegion (PMRS, SystemIO, 0x0430, One)\n
Field (PMRS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)\n
{\n
        ,   4, \n
    SLPE,   1\n
}
end

Thanks so much for your help, MaLd0n.  My laptop is just about perfect now.  I think the only issue I still want to work on is that, when I switch from AC to battery, my screen brightness dims as it should but when I return to AC, it stays dim and does not go back to the previous AC brightness.  Same thing when it wakes from sleep.  Since I can adjust screen brightness with my F2 and F3 keys, it's not a big thing, just something to work on to make my system perfect.  :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by mnfesq
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 5/29/2018 at 11:55 AM, mnfesq said:

So I finally was able to fix my shutdown problem.  The answer was in a 2011 post by Cassio on the Olarilla forum.  (I know you saw it there but I am posting this in case someone else here has the same problem.). Cassio wrote that shutdown problems are typically BIOS-specific, which makes perfect sense.  He posted some DSDT patches for different brands of motherboards.  I assumed mine was an Intel board (just a lucky guess actually) and it worked.  Here's the patch:

# Change method _PTS where Arg0 is 0x05 (shutdown)
#
into method label _PTS code_regex_not If\s*\(LEqual\s*\(Arg0,\s*0x05\)\) code_regex ^((?:.|\n)*)$ replace_matched
begin
        If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))\n
        {\n
            Store (Zero, SLPE)\n
            Sleep (0x10)\n
        }\n
        Else\n
        {\n
%1
        }
end;
into definitionblock code_regex . code_regex_not OperationRegion\s*\(PMRS insert
begin
OperationRegion (PMRS, SystemIO, 0x0430, One)\n
Field (PMRS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)\n
{\n
        ,   4, \n
    SLPE,   1\n
}
end

Thanks so much for your help, MaLd0n.  My laptop is just about perfect now.  I think the only issue I still want to work on is that, when I switch from AC to battery, my screen brightness dims as it should but when I return to AC, it stays dim and does not go back to the previous AC brightness.  Same thing when it wakes from sleep.  Since I can adjust screen brightness with my F2 and F3 keys, it's not a big thing, just something to work on to make my system perfect.  :thumbsup_anim:

I am back 5 years later with the same problem -- my laptop will not shut down completely.  The LED light for the power button stays on as does the fan.  The fix above no longer works because changes to my DSDT over the years, including changes made by @MaLd0n, have removed the SLPE device from my DSDT.  If only I saved my DSDT from 5 years ago.  Any ideas about how to restore the SLPE device or find a new method to shut down my laptop? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still having a problem with this.  Using the OpenCore method, I cannot seem to edit the FixShutdown-USB-SSDT.aml file correctly.  The USB's _PRW is found at _SB_.PCI0.XHC_.RHUB.SS06 but entering that into the SSDT doesn't make the laptop power off at shutdown.