REQ: newest/reasonable hardware for mountain lion.

3 posts in this topic

hi there.
since i absolutly do not want to change all my recording hardware and software for my home-studio, which is just a hobby of mine, and i am sick and tired of hooking up my external harddrive and reboot my macbook pro i7 (2013) i want a better solution..

my requirements:
needs an Firewire 800 or thunderbolt port for my digi002.
needs to run Mountain Lion for protools 10

so if i want to go apple way i only can go to mac mini 2012 or imac 2013.. both of them are not really an upgrade to my macbook pro.. i could of course by a modern macbook pro and use my old machine as a dedicated recording device, but that is kinda an expensive solution too :(  

hackintosh is the best bet i think :)

are there any limitations concerning hardware if i want to run Mountain Lion? is there a limit at all? or can i just pick components from an existing recent compatibility hardware chart (depending on the budget) and just install mountain lion? but then there is the obsticle with the firewire/thunderbolt port... i obviously want an hardware boost over my macbook pro i7 3ghz and , but still run mountain lion... any ideas/input ?

Thanks, Markus

also wrong forum, sorry..
if an admin please could move it to the right subforum? thanks! :)

thanks, man..
so i wouldn't either save money nor would it be easy to find and get all the components for a hackintosh in norway either..

so my best bet is then a 2013 imac with an 3.5ghz cpu and put as much ram in there as possible i assume?

it really sucks that avid and digidesign just stopped supporting older DAWs and drivers for hardware ... i have a decent setup but am forced to use an old mac .. or switch to a more recent windows machine and run the last supported windows... 

i should ask what to do in the protools forums, too i assume :)

Cheers, Markus

You may take a desktop (Haswell or IvyBridge) but increase RAM, HDD and choose fast Videocard. It will be more powerful machine then MacBookPro.