What Motherboard to use for OS x86 for Drivers compatibility

DJ BeaST

36 posts in this topic

Just do a google search for MD5.

The older version of jas 10.4.3 sse3 intel only had been messed up by some superseeder thingy. A MD5 allows you to check you download to make sure its not messed up.

Anyways, I am about 45% into the download. I got the box ready to go:

Asus P4S800D-X

Socket 478 P4 3.2ghz w/1meg cache with sse3

1 gig ram

nvidia card... some POS... I'll worry about a better one later.

Seagate 120gig 7200rpm ide

and as we speak I need to go hunt my house for a dvd drive.... I forgot to bring the one in my other pc from work Friday, but I am sure I have something laying around.

I have a Gigabyte GA-8I945GZME-RH

Its a 775 socket...I'm running 10.4.8 with the new semthex kernel and on board GMA 950 video has qe/ci, on board audio works, and on board lan works.

Also I've tested it with an x1600pro and a 7900GS and both work fine in it with qe/ci....I've now permanently installed the 7900GS....

I need to download 10.4.7 I think... the 10.4.8 says no. I get the dreaded waiting for root device....

Anyways, still working on it.

Has anyone released a install dvd with the sis chipset hack in the install dvd? I cannot even install right now.

Just do a google search for MD5.

The older version of jas 10.4.3 sse3 intel only had been messed up by some superseeder thingy. A MD5 allows you to check you download to make sure its not messed up.

Anyways, I am about 45% into the download. I got the box ready to go:

Asus P4S800D-X

Socket 478 P4 3.2ghz w/1meg cache with sse3

1 gig ram

nvidia card... some POS... I'll worry about a better one later.

Seagate 120gig 7200rpm ide

and as we speak I need to go hunt my house for a dvd drive.... I forgot to bring the one in my other pc from work Friday, but I am sure I have something laying around.

thank you so much bobOki i am still waiting for more replies from you and see what will happen next thanks again 4 everything.

I have a Gigabyte GA-8I945GZME-RH

Its a 775 socket...I'm running 10.4.8 with the new semthex kernel and on board GMA 950 video has qe/ci, on board audio works, and on board lan works.

Also I've tested it with an x1600pro and a 7900GS and both work fine in it with qe/ci....I've now permanently installed the 7900GS....

thank you wondergod for your information it was very helpfull well i am still waiting for more replies and more information about other kind of motherboards. please do tell me thanks again.

@DJ BeaST

I don't know about ASUS P4S800D-X, it's on SIS chipset. My board uses Intel's 865., ICH5R southbridge. I got everything working except onboard NIC and my 6600GT on AGP. Network fix was skge.kext. QE/CI is now possible with titan.kext, though card it's still recognized as PCI (can't get it to work with agpgart). But anyway it's worth a try :)

thanks for your reply . so you telling me everything worked fine ? sound and vga and network ethernet too ? can you report me please and tell me the full details again. thanks alot plz don't forgte. because it is the motherboard p4800sd-x is on SiS chiset. not intel that is what surprise me. please reply back.

Ok..... status report thus far:

I can install and get working EASILY 10.4.7 jas release with sse3. The install dvd works fine and sees all the SIS chipset drives. No problem.

Now, the 10.4.8 install dvd does NOT work at all. I get the dreaded still waiting for root error. Working on it.....

*back to my REAL job now..*

allrighty....

downloading the 10.4.8 update combo cd now. 10.4.7 works GREAT on this board. I am sure the 10.4.8 update will work great too. I will then add some different kernels and see how it goes. I can tell you this, even without adding titan on this GHETTO nvidia card I am using (64 meg even) this this is fast!

More to come as I go.

For sometime, I have had an ASRock P4Dual915GL s478 and paired it with my Pentium 4 2.8GHz Prescott which has SSE3, I've gone through different versions of JaS/HoTISO/Goatse Mac OS X from 10.4.5 up to 10.4.7 and it worked out of the box.

However for JaS 10.4.8 Semthex/Mifki kernel, you need to manually patch up the video (permission related issues), NIC (copy one of the kext from an older release) other than that it worked flawlessly. I've already sold this mobo and moved on to LGA775 procs, and bought an Intel D945GTPL mobo which is also working smoothly but after some patches applied.

As for the mobo you're planning to buy, go for an Intel or VIA chipset. You'll likely to succeed on these chipsets, however don't expect that all features will work out of the box.

Lastly, visit osx86project.org. There you'll find lists of compatible mobo and other components.

Ok, update time!

I have not devoted ALLOT of time to this yet, but I can tell you if you are looking for a out-of-the-box, the p4s800d-x is NOT your answer.

Problems I have encountered:

1. 10.4.8 still waiting for root device. I had to install 10.4.7 instead then upgrade to 10.4.8.

2. Onboard nic not recognized. I have not messed with it further YET.

3. Onboard sound not recognized YET (prolly just need to change the manfacturer code)

4. Only one of my upgrades to 10.4.8 actually worked. The rest would start then lock on the starting mac osx screen. -v shows nothing.

5. I have tried three different drives, and all of them show MASSIVLY slow performance scores. I went to Circuit City the other day and on a slower macbook I did a xbench. All scores were 30+. Mine are almost all below 10. I have a hard time beliving a 4200 rpm is faster by 3x or more than a 7800 rpm drive.

The good news thus far:

1. Usb works well and fast

2. cpu and fsb has shown correct in 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 without any messing with.

3. The board has nice OC if I want to do so.

All in all, the machine is NOT up enough to be considered working, and I will have to put lots of work into it still I thinks. So, get a different mobo!