Dual boot :: El Capitan + Win 10 on GPT ?

osx151212

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

a couple days ago I've attempted to install Windows 10 on a machine running Clover 4411 and El Capitan (same HDD with GPT).

I looked on internet for this subject and it was not fully clear how to proceed with the installation.

I used my USB drive which I normally use for Windows 10 installation -- booted from this USB drive and started installation. Once I got to the disk part the windows installer informed that it can not install on HDD with GPT partition table.

It was odd as information on internet stated that GPT installation Windows 10 is possible. I followed some instruction to create USB drive with Rufus utility and format it in GPT.

Tried to boot from this drive and same issue Windows 10 can not install on GPT table.

I've attempted to boot USB drive through Clover bootloader but got a message that USB disk probably corrupted and I was offered to press "Alt+Ctrl+Del" to reboot the computer.

Now the question: does anybody succeed in installing Windows 10 on the same HDD as El Capitan (Sierra/High Sierra) formatted with GPT partition table? 

If the answer is 'yes' is there an instruction how it should be done?

Thank you for help,

osx151212

• Like 1

Do you have the bios inherited or Uefi? prepare the USB based on the bios
Reduce the volume, and create where to stay in win 10

start usb, at the time of the installation screen press shift + f10 or win + f10
to the promt type:

(be careful, erasing a partition and not making mistakes so be careful about the         partition of OS x)

Diskpart

list disk
select disk x                            (x stands for the volume number
list partition
select partition x                  (where you have to put win10)
clean
convert GPT
exit

try to install

Carlo_67,

this is an old computer with BIOS (no UEFI), it has Clover bootloader which located in EFI partition of HDD with GPT.

The Windows installer refuses to install on HDD with GPT.

I did search on internet and it looks like

diskpart
disk list
select disk
clean  <-- removes partition table
exit

I tend to believe that diskpart clean removes partition table completely. Correct me if I am wrong...

osx151212