High Sierra install on same system as before but....

5 posts in this topic

Whats up everyone. I still have the same system except I got a Samsung evo 860 ssd, and I was running Sierra, I thought id just do a clean install of high Sierra.

When I had trouble setting up Sierra before, I started a thread and got amazing help from amazing people here. This thread

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/forums/topic/320589-im-at-a-dead-end-with-clover/

I thought id follow the same instructions since a moderater basically set up my EFI folder for me and I just dragged it in and it worked perfectly. But with this new install, I'm having a few problems.

1. High Sierra just freezes after a few minutes of being idle

2. and my biggest issue. When I try to boot Sierra from my new I get the black screen with the white writing that says please insert proper boot disk and press any key to continue. So I can only boot from usb right now

I have clover boot loader and clover configurator installed but I noticed something weird. Sierra is installed on disk1s2 but clover doesn't I've me an option to mount there, only gives me an option to mount on disk0s2 and others...heres a screenshot

any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

UPDATE 

Turns out I had the kexts in the wrong folder. Now clover boots from the SSD but it loads and says MACH REBOOT

Are there any specific boot args I should be using?

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 7.07.52 PM.png

Edited by FALLOFMAN

Guest ricoc90
43 minutes ago, FALLOFMAN said:

2. and my biggest issue. When I try to boot Sierra from my new I get the black screen with the white writing that says please insert proper boot disk and press any key to continue. So I can only boot from usb right now

Did you try to re-install Clover? Seems like your system can't pick up on the bootfiles

44 minutes ago, FALLOFMAN said:

I have clover boot loader and clover configurator installed but I noticed something weird. Sierra is installed on disk1s2 but clover doesn't I've me an option to mount there, only gives me an option to mount on disk0s2 and others...heres a screenshot

You're on APFS. APFS uses virtual containers. The actual disk is disk0 and the virtual container is on disk1s2.
You can verify this in terminal:

diskutil list

See screenshot:

wErOfIG.png

5 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:

Did you try to re-install Clover? Seems like your system can't pick up on the bootfiles

You're on APFS. APFS uses virtual containers. The actual disk is disk0 and the virtual container is on disk1s2.
You can verify this in terminal:

diskutil list

See screenshot:

wErOfIG.png

Turns out I had the kexts in the wrong folder. Now clover boots from the SSD but it loads and says MACH REBOOT and there's no drop MATS or DMAR in clover boot

Edited by FALLOFMAN