OSx86 DVD Installer not seeing 8gb AF disc partition

furri

14 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I'm attempting an XP/OSX dual boot installation, installing OSX from DVD onto an 80gb ATA disk.

XP is installed already so I made space at the end of the HD and created an AF partition and set it active as per the info on here.

The HD is partitioned as follows:

Partition 1: Primary NTFS (existing XP installation)

Partition 2: Extended NTFS

Partition 3: Extended NTFS

Partition 4: Extended FAT32

Partition 5: Primary AF

When I try installing OSX the installer isn't picking up the AF partition.

It runs until the user is asked to select the disc to install OSX onto. Here there is nothing to select.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do for the DVD installer to see the AF partition?

Many thanks

Furri

Have you run disk utility from the Tiger DVD? See if you can erase the partition with disk utility. (Disk Utility is availible under a menu after booting from the dvd)

Hi,

To answer your question, yes, I've run disk utility and system profiler from the Tiger DVD.

None of the HD partitions were showing as mounted (including the AF partition).

Cheers

Furri

• 2 weeks later...
To answer your question, yes, I've run disk utility and system profiler from the Tiger DVD.

None of the HD partitions were showing as mounted (including the AF partition).

Furri,

I have similar problem as well.

Have you solved the problem?

It would be great if you have solved the problem and willing to share your solution.

Thanks in advance.

I got my drive to show up. Here is my setup and what i did:

30GB HD as Master on IDE Channel 0 (first IDE channel)

DVD Rom drive on IDE Channel 1 (second IDE channel)

I booted off the DVD. At the installation i went into the Disk Utility option. Formated my hard drive using the Extended format with Journaling. Then i wrote zeroes to free space to delete all data on the drive.

After that i closed out the disk utility window and the drive was there. Now its installing, hope it works in the end.

I have a similar problem with Dell Dimension 4700 with 915G chipset and Maxtor 160GB SATA HD.

The partitions on the HD are as follow:

1. Small FAT16 primary partition (inactive) where Dell stores the Diagnostic utilities.

2. 20GB NTFS primary partition (active) where WinXP is installed.

3. 110 GB NTFS extended partition.

4. 20GB primary AF partition (inactive) - planned to install OSX86 on it from Patched DVD Installation Disc.

The 20GB Primary AF partition created with MS Diskpart does show up in OSX86 (Patched DVD) Installer. However, I can't select the partition to install the OSX86 on it. Try using DiskUtilities to erase the partition & reformat again with MacOS extended partition also didn't help.

Anyone has workaround or solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

The installer can't install OSX86 on that primary AF partition because OSX86 cannot start from that partition.

Isn't that partition is a primary partition that I can set it to active & OSX86 can boot from there?

Just FYI, the primary AF partition I created on my HD is toward the end of the whole HD space (after extended NTFS partition).

Macgirl, thanks for the info.

It seems that OSX86 can't recognise the space beyond 128GB, am I right?

If this the limitation of OSx86, then creating the primary AF partition within 128GB should solve the installation problem.

Will try again & see whether it works or not.

I managed to install OSX86 at last.

For those who faced similar problem like me, here is my solution.

Just create the primary AF partition with diskpart within 128GB.

Then reformat (ERASE) that partition as MacFS extended with DiskUtilties during installation of OSx86.

The primary AF partition created by Diskpart won't show up in the installer until it is reformatted (ERASE) by DiskUtilities. Once reformatted by DiskUtilities, the primary will show up in the installer and you can select the partition to install OSX86 on it.