restore deleted files APFS

10 posts in this topic

Unfortunately I've deleted my desktop content, all recovery Apps I've tried can not restore files from APFS. 

I already tried disk drill, stellar recovery, mac-data-recovery, data recovery, m3 data recovery. They seem to be useless on APFS because  there is not a single trace of my deleted files.

On the m3data recovery it said to "On macOS High Sierra, there is a security mechanism named "System Integrity Protection" (SIP), which prevents any application from reading startup drive. And when we want to use M3 Mac Data Recovery to scan startup disk, we need to temporarily disable SIP, otherwise M3 Mac Data Recovery will be prevented from scanning." did you do that???

From restore in terminal  Enter the command: csrutil disable and press Return.

Lou Cioccio

7 hours ago, LouCioccio said:

On the m3data recovery it said to "On macOS High Sierra, there is a security mechanism named "System Integrity Protection" (SIP), which prevents any application from reading startup drive. And when we want to use M3 Mac Data Recovery to scan startup disk, we need to temporarily disable SIP, otherwise M3 Mac Data Recovery will be prevented from scanning." did you do that???

From restore in terminal  Enter the command: csrutil disable and press Return.

Lou Cioccio

SIP was already disabled. All the Apps I tried seem to work like a file manager, they also show me files I did not delete. 

On 10/03/2018 at 5:40 PM, wern apfel said:

Unfortunately I've deleted my desktop content, all recovery Apps I've tried can not restore files from APFS. 

I already tried disk drill, stellar recovery, mac-data-recovery, data recovery, m3 data recovery. They seem to be useless on APFS because  there is not a single trace of my deleted files.

This software says it restores deleted files on APFS:

https://iboysoft.com/mac-data-recovery/apfs-data-recovery.html

In order to maximise the chance of getting data back, you need to stop using that drive immediately.  Every time disk writes happen, they could be overwriting your deleted data, making it impossible to restore. 

Ideally you would install the above data recovery software to a different bootable macOS HDD/SSD and then mount the disk with lost data as a secondary before trying to restore it.   If that's not possible, at least minimise disk writes before you install and use the recovery software.

Edited by TheBloke
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TheBloke said:

This software says it restores deleted files on APFS:

https://iboysoft.com/mac-data-recovery/apfs-data-recovery.html

In order to maximise the chance of getting data back, you need to stop using that drive immediately.  Every time disk writes happen, they could be overwriting your deleted data, making it impossible to restore. 

Ideally you would install the above data recovery software to a different bootable macOS HDD/SSD and then mount the disk with lost data as a secondary before trying to restore it.   If that's not possible, at least minimise disk writes before you install and use the recovery software.

Thanks for replying, I already tried the iboxsoft recovery tool with the same result like all other recovery tools. I don't know what's wrong, but they all fail in the same way. I've immediately replaced that drive and it is no longer used.

Strange that all tools find about 17GB of deleted files, files that I never deleted. It seems that they do not fully support APFS.

On 17/03/2018 at 9:15 AM, wern apfel said:

Thanks for replying, I already tried the iboxsoft recovery tool with the same result like all other recovery tools. I don't know what's wrong, but they all fail in the same way. I've immediately replaced that drive and it is no longer used.

Strange that all tools find about 17GB of deleted files, files that I never deleted. It seems that they do not fully support APFS.

Sorry to hear that.

Stupid question: are you certain the Desktop content was deleted?  Did you do it yourself (selected it all and hit delete), or did you just find it gone?   I am just wondering if there's any chance it got moved somewhere instead of deleted.

If you can't be 100% certain it was definitely deleted, you could try searching the drive for a known filename.  Eg in Terminal:

find /Volumes/drivename/Users/YourName -iname "*filename*"   - replacing 'filename' with some part of a filename you know is missing.

Probably no good,  but worth a try unless you actually saw the data being deleted.

If not, maybe the fact that recovery tools can't find any of the files, and show you files that shouldn't be deleted, indicates some problem/corruption with the APFS filesystem, which in turn caused data loss :(

Final thought:  have you tested to see if you can roll the drive back to an earlier APFS snapshot?

This guide shows you how - it uses Time Machine from the Recovery partition.  You don't have to have used Time Machine in order to do this - macOS will automatically create APFS snapshots in certain situations.  See step 3 of the following guide:

https://www.lifewire.com/roll-back-apfs-snapshots-4154969

Edited by TheBloke

Thanks for replying. I tried to delete a folder with invisible content from an SD card, which could not be moved to the trash. I used the terminal to delete that folder with the rm command, in a hurry i've not double checked what i entered an probably enter an asterisk. Which means, delete the entire content of the user folder. Hard luck!

Unfortunately, the APFS snapshots are deleted after 24 hours. https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT204015

• 10 months later...
7 hours ago, luther123 said:

Use this third party tool for restore and recover you losted or deleted file then try This third party mac data recovery tool is best tool to recover all corrupted storage data and mac data. with this Mac Data Recovery tool, you can retrieve all your important documents, files, music, images, movies and more which are deleted or lost from any storage media based on any file system like HFS/HFS+, NTFS, FAT or ExFAT.

you can download this free version from here :- http://www.filesrepairtool.com/mac-data-recovery.html

I've already tried the stellar recovery tool before I opened this topic, just tried the new version unfortunately with the same result "no deleted files found"

• 6 months later...

On 3/11/2018 at 1:40 AM, wern apfel said:

Unfortunately I've deleted my desktop content, all recovery Apps I've tried can not restore files from APFS

As long as the deleted files are not overwritten, you still have a chance to retrieve them. Moreover, you need a data recovery tool that can recover the file system.