question

alertrenegade

10 posts in this topic

I'll start off by saying I'm pretty new to all of this. Alrighty then onto the question itself.

I have an install dvd of 10.4.3. The release was called "Mac OSX x86 PC 10 4 3 with boot patch for any intel PC". The computer ran fine with everything except for the SATA hard drive, graphics card, and sound card running correctly.

I have:

• nvidia nforce4 motherboard
  • amd 3200+ processor
  • ati raedon x1300
  • sound blaster live 5.1

Then I got the jas 10.4.7 dvd and installed that, so I could eventually update to the 10.4.8 version. Whenever I installed the jas release it had installed correctly. When it loaded up it was stuck on the Apple grey screen then an icon came on the middle of the screen that looked like a power icon. The next time I installed it, it wouldn't even load the grey apple screen. The next time i chose to do an update from the instalation of 10.4.3. This install would not let me install the jas patches for the AMD processor. All it would do was allow the Intel patches to be installed. Also the ati sata drivers would install, but not the nvidia. I'm assuming the reason it considered it Intel was because of the 10.4.3 install being made for Intels.

Since then I've reinstalled 10.4.3 in hopes someone can answer my question as to what went wrong with the install. Is it just bad hardware? Or was the installation itself bad? Another question I've had; are there any other releases besides for jas? Well if anyone can give me some hints or some help it's much appriceated. I thank you just for reading this even if you dont have any help. I know its hard to sit there and read what someone has written when you know what you're talking about and they hardly do.

When you installed 10.4.7, what packages did you select in the Customize window?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=4499

10.4.3 wouldn't let you select the AMD packages because it detected that AMD packages were already installed. Besides, installing 10.4.3 over top of 10.4.7 is not a wise idea.

nForce4 SATA, ATI 1300 mobility and Soundblaster Live are not supported in any OSX installation. There is a development driver for nForce4 SATA, but it still isn't working.

Installing 10.4.7 I selected the following packets:

• AMD.10.4.7.Combo.Update
  • AMD.kernel
  • VIA.ATA.Support

When I reinstalled 10.4.3 I completely reformated the hard drive so I started new. This was to eliminate most of the problems I probably would have gotten trying to reinstall it directly over 10.4.7.

Thanks for the quick response.

Would that be any reason for it not to start up though?

I'm not saying that 10.4.7 was never fully up and running, cause it was. It was just slow. And eventually it just stopped working. At first the SATA drivers worked. Then they stopped working after a reboot. From that point on the installation went down hill. Till the time where it just showed the grey apple screen with the power button icon in the center. So I reinstalled it. For whatever reason this time it just showed the loading verbose messaging from Darwin and never continued past there.