How can I keep my installation alive for more than 24 hours a nd a handful of boots?

Squidderlee

20 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My question is simple enough... how can I keep High Sierra bootable on a Haswell Ga-z87x-Ud5h with a GT750Ti? I have been running hacks for 7 or 8 years now and NEVER have I had this much hassle. I have installed HS clean and as an update, with or without APFS and it runs perfectly, Then after a handful of boots I suddenly can not get in to the system anymore... It's a No Entry Symbol and "HID: Legacy Shim 2" lock up,,, I have no idea what the !&'% this is supposed to mean but I have noted that this even appears with SUCCESFUL boots sometimes 2 or 3 times...

I have been trying to get a single installation to stick since the later previews and not one has lasted more than 24 to 36 hours tops. Getting NVidia to run was one thing but this is a mystery! There don't appear to be any indicators in Verbose mode other than this!

By my reckoning there cannot be much wrong with my hardware of even clover as there are 3 or 4 successful boots before this happens... It just seems to be random and once I am met with this there is no option other than to revert to my Sierra installation! I have tried disabling NVidia web drivers, booting with disabled etc to get past it but I cannot!

Has anyone else had this? What is the fix? 

Thanks guys

That is quite an unusual problem you're having, although I cannot exactly suggest an insight to what is going on with your setup, all I can say is I have have the same chipset board and exactly the same graphics card as your rig and don't experience the problem you're having, with or without APFS. I suggest check your DSDT and SSDT, although Clover Configurator offers a quick DSDT injection solution (if that is the method you used) its is always best to 'vanilla' generate these within and from your system. Another factor could be the board it self, worst case scenario insure you are running the latest BIOS update, mine is at 10b, I think that was the last update as these boards are quite dated now compared to the latest ones available. There could be multiple reasons why but check the simple and easy solutions first before delving into the too technical - good luck.

That is quite an unusual problem you're having, although I cannot exactly suggest an insight to what is going on with your setup, all I can say is I have have the same chipset board and exactly the same graphics card as your rig and don't experience the problem you're having, with or without APFS. I suggest check your DSDT and SSDT, although Clover Configurator offers a quick DSDT injection solution (if that is the method you used) its is always best to 'vanilla' generate these within and from your system. Another factor could be the board it self, worst case scenario insure you are running the latest BIOS update, mine is at 10b, I think that was the last update as these boards are quite dated now compared to the latest ones available. There could be multiple reasons why but check the simple and easy solutions first before delving into the too technical - good luck.

I don't have a DSDT for this board... Not aware there was one... but I do have SSDT.. Maybe I'll try rebuilding Clover from Scratch without the SSDT and see where that gets me.... Never had an issue with Sierra on this SSDT though... As for the Bios I believe 9b was the last bios... I re-flashed mine only a few weeks ago and this was still the latest....

Ok - my board is the GA-Z87X-OC FORCE (same chipset as yours) and the newest/latest BIOS is F10b. Now I don't know if there would be a difference for your board but it's worth checking out on Gigabyte's official website. Running an SSDT solely hmmmm without a DSDT, strange - maybe try removing the SSDT and let the system run it's Generic DSDT and SSDT and see what happens until you can generate proper ones to get a stable running system.

Ok - my board is the GA-Z87X-OC FORCE (same chipset as yours) and the newest/latest BIOS is F10b. Now I don't know if there would be a difference for your board but it's worth checking out on Gigabyte's official website. Running an SSDT solely hmmmm without a DSDT, strange - maybe try removing the SSDT and let the system run it's Generic DSDT and SSDT and see what happens until you can generate proper ones to get a stable running system.

Have a read of this! Since I built this rig I have not used a DSDT... 

http://www.macbreaker.com/2014/03/how-to-edit-your-own-dsdt-with-maciasl.html

The 10c Update you mention is a beta.... it's also not available through the bios app directly via the server... You're right our boards are very similar... I had the choice here,,, your is better for gaming...  

That said.... I have basically reinstalled HS once more and this time what I did was clean install Clover and copy across my SSDT and XOCI amls... and kexts I use - What I discovered though is that there was a DSDT and and a HDMI DSDT in my original folder... How the %&/$ they got there is anybody's guess... I think maybe this clover folder was either edited by someone else or it was one I downloaded initially to get HS up and running.... EIther way they ain't there now!!! I have no idea if it was that alien DSDT that may have thrown the spanner but one way or another we'll know if this was the issue or not by this time tomorrow! =)

I generated a new SSDT btw using the PikerAlpha Script,,, Usually do this by other means,,,,

So far it's Hunky Dory,,,, as usual but after a few reboots,,,,? Keep an eye on the thread... I'll let u know!

Like I said, my board has the same chipset Z87 and the official release is Fb10b - not a beta, maybe different for your board, don't know without checking. Reading through your last post could explain your problem if you have a corrupt or conflicting entries in your config.plist.

• Like 1

Like I said, my board has the same chipset Z87 and the official release is Fb10b - not a beta, maybe different for your board, don't know without checking. Reading through your last post could explain your problem if you have a corrupt or conflicting entries in your config.plist.

May well be the case.... Mine is as up to date as I can get it without going beta...

I did originally try to create a DSDT for my board and was unable to compile it... I think i got into a thread with RehabMan and also checked on a site I wont mention here to see if there was a stock one... There wasn't. I think it may well have been Rehabman that reassured me I did not need a DSDT... For Gigaboards it seems that you don't need one for any board built after 2010 - ours are considerably newer than that!

I'll let u know how this goes... same time tomorrow I reckon... if not before (which will be bad news,,,,,)

Ok - but I am sure in another thread he recommends compiling your own DSDT and SSDT oppose to using a pre built one found on the net as every system has its own quirky characteristics which makes sense. Maybe if he or anyone else see this thread they will chip in on that thought. I really hope you get the problem sorted - Good luck.

• Like 1

post ur clover folder and original DSDT

Hi Mald0n.... I think I went through this with you originally . a few years ago now... If you check out the DSDT Dev forum you will find that I discovered a fixed version you gave (Fully patched) to someone else... I ran it in it MaciASL and it still came up with 2 errors.... but it turns out there lines could simply be deleted and this allowed the DSDT to compile...

I am running on it right now,,, and am going to restart/shut down several times today to see if the installation still breaks,,, if not I will assume all is well,,, The machine was running fine okay without a DSDT at all but by default those 2 errors (pre patch) were still present... Now if the system is referencing the clover version I should be set...

If not I'll post back here...

MaLd0n to the rescue  :thumbsup_anim:

YEP! =)

• Like 1

Try

-replace Clover folder, put Kexts in Library/Extensions

attachicon.gifSquidderlee.zip

-update Clover

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/Clover_v2.4k_r4297.zip/download

-run KextUtility

-Reboot

I did as you advised... rebooted twice and each time this!!! I had to reinstall HS again to get into it (at least for the next 24 hours or so before it does it's usual!

Your clover edit seems to be whats causing the panic on this occasion - as with mine (the one I had been using) I can get in at least for 24 hours... However I have not disabled ALL drivers in UEFI64 minus AptioFIxDrv2. In the Bios I totally disabled Intel Graphics as this was giving me installation issues... So neither one in it's current form appears to be the solution,,,

33d8hdu.jpg

I got a similar problem by failing to update apfs.efi in drivers64UEFI. The driver I was using was from a 10.13 beta version, and after a few reboots my apfs partition was in a state that this version of the driver could not understand. Have you been updating the apfs driver in Clover with the one in your installed system (/usr/standalone/i386)?

I am not sure if this is Solved yet still,,,, I refreshed my bios with the new beta bios from Gigabyte for my board (10c) and reset my options - making sure Igfx was well and truly disabled in the bios....

I got 4 days from it without a crash (A Record!!!) and then ran Onyx and Mac Pilot on it!!! DEATH!

I restored from a backup I'd managed to take in those 4 days....

Ran Onyx on it only... DEATH!!!!

Restored again... deleted Onyx and ran Macpilot only,,,, but without the dyld Shared Cache option kext caches and have so far rebooted around 4 times in 2 days... still fine,,,

If this is what's been going on here,,, it seems that either cleaning System Caches of dyld is Murder for HS!!! - Not sure if anyone can back me up on this and had similar!!!

I'm not marking this thread solved just yet because every time I'm happy with it - it dies on the next reboot!!!

I am marking this solved as I have now been able to boot for a week or two with no problems at all! Today I backed up with CCC - downloaded and installed Onyx.

I forgot to disable disk checking using automation,,,, Onyx Locked up forcing a hard reset.

On reboot I ran Onyx again... this time I disabled disk checking altogether and ran automation with defaults...

On reboot straight to the No Entry HID Shim issue once again

Conclusion - Onyx is killing my High Sierra Installation... It's gone now and I should manage okay with MacPilot which does not kill it!

• Like 1