Freeing space on the startup disk

MacusAmicus

3 posts in this topic

I've seen some people having problems because they didn't allocated enough disk space when originally installing OS X. I've been through this because my Wallstreet had an 8GB barrier for the startup disk installation. The following suggestions may help keep your startup disk lean and mean.

1. Use Swap Cop to move your swap space to another partition (I'm not brave enough).

2. Uninstall localized languages using Monolingual or other tool.

3. Remove unnecessary printer drivers.

4. Create another applications directory at the root of another partition.

a. Some applications can be installed anywhere, but some have to be installed on your startup disk. When installing new software attempt to install on the duplicate Application directory.

b. Move existing applications from your startup directory to your duplicate if possible (you can move back if you break it).

c. Add your duplicate Applications folder to the finder's go menu for simplicity.

5. OR --- More sophisticated - move your entire Applications folder to another partition and create a symbolic link from the root of your startup disk. This worked well for me for weeks until I ended up reinstalling for another reason.

6. One could move and create a symbolic link for their home directory also in theory. I saw a thread for doing something similar to this somewhere on this site.

Warning - make a backup of your partition before attempting these steps.

P.S. A few tips.

When installing new kext files, or editing existing ones - Simply rename the old ones such as

sudo mv AppleHDA.kext AppleHDA.kext.orig. There's no point into deleting kext files you may need again later, simply renaming their extensions will deactivate them.

After installing OS X or an upgrade archive your entire /system/library/extensions/ folder so that you can restore kext files if needed. As you upgrade through 10.4.3 to 10.4.4 etc., you'll have extension archives for each version.

Keep a detailed record of modifications you've made to get your system to work plus a copy of those programs, scripts, and kexts you used to make them. Some you may never find again. Burn all of them to a CD. If you screw up your installation, having those records and items handy will make the reinstall a breeze.

While it is good to know what you've written, the 8 GB limit is not a problem if you use XPostFacto.

I'ts here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostF...PostFacto3.html

Yes you're right. It seemed to work for others, and XPostFacto is a gem, but when it came down selecting my installation partition - if it wasn't the first one and <8GB it wouldn't let me choose it.

As a side note: Using XPostFacto and bootx I was able to tripleboot an old wallsteet between OS 9, Tiger, and Ubuntu.