Random freeze and SATA LED on

fearandleb

30 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, PoisonApple666 said:

not sure what you did but it appears  to be working like a champ...I let the machine run over night and I had no freezing probs....is it the latest clover?  modified config.plist?  if you could explain it for someone who is just not a software guy and definitely not a clover guy it would be greatly appreciated.

regardless thanks very much for your help

is a full DSDT patched and correct config.plist

i need a new files for check ioreg, run app again

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I am having the same issue since I added a new SSD M2 Samsung EVO to my laptop.

What I did :

- I upgraded to Mojave (my first hdd was converted to APFS without notice)

- It went fine for a week, until I added a SSD M2 and use the ‘Trimforce’ Command, it started to freeze with the SATA led on. (EDIT : new SSD is for /user/home)

- Then I disabled Trimeforce, and freeze occurs less often. I cannot disable 'Agressive Link Power Management' (no option in my bios).

What should I do now ?

Thank you,

Edited by OLegg

• 8 months later...
On 12/14/2017 at 3:47 PM, fearandleb said:

I can now say with certainty that the cause of my problem was the Agressive Link Power Management. It did not had to do with Trim enabled.

So if you have High Sierra installed on SSD and with APFS on the Root Volume (10.13 - 10.13.2) and encounter sudden freezes with the SATA LED constantly on, you have to disable Agressive Link Power Management in your BIOS. This is on a X79 Supermicro X9Dai.

I am currently testing this conclusion on my own X79 rig. Exact same symptoms ( freeze, hdd light on full, then shutdown. No log files. Previous shutdown cause was always clean) Changed SSD’s. Made new SSDT for power management. I did clean a install on 2 drive and yet still it happened

MaLd0n even helped me with a DSDT to no avail.   Here’s hoping this is the trick. It’s been a long ride. I will update. 

• 3 months later...