Looking To Setup Dual-Boot With Windows 10 & Mac OS X

UnboundGodz

8 posts in this topic

Hello, i was referred to this site by someone assisting me with Hackintosh related support. Basically, my goal is to be able to run Mac OS X the latest if possible on my PC, but im unsure how to go about starting and completing this process and if i can even do it with my current PC. My plan was to run Mac OS X on an external HDD atm, and make it an internal HDD in the future. My build specs are below, and any and all info about how i could go about doing this, if i can even do it would be very helpful! Ive tried OS X on VMware and its just slow and annoying as it doesnt detect hardware so well, and again ITS VERY SLOW (I give the VMware plenty of RAM btw, doesnt help).

BUILD

• CPU - Intel i7-6700k
  • RAM - 32GB of Vengeance® LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
  • MOBO - MSI 170A GAMING M5
  • GPU - Asus STRIX AMD R9 380 4GB
  • Storage - Crucial 256GB SSD, Samsung 250GB SSD (Windows 10), WL 3TB HDD, & Toshiba 320GB External HDD (Will Be For Mac OS X, If My System Is Compatible)

So, if this is at all possible please let me know and if so what do i all need to begin this setup.

Thank You for your time. (If this is the wrong place to put this, i apologize, im new here!)

It depends on what drivers the motherboard uses. Will need realteck etc

With that AMD card, it might take a bit to get it working. Make sure to set the bios to PCI-E or whatever port the card is on.

Your best bet is a nvidia card, personally.

sorry, realised you put it down as mobo..

Sold my last build just this past month, would have been a perfect test subject for this haha.

Cant sadly do GTX at this time nor in the near future, one of the reasons ive been stumped on this cause i know Intel/Nvidia builds are more compatible as for AMD/AMD are not so much.

Do you think i should look for such drivers over the mac through VM and test it that way to see if it works better?

AMD GPUs are better utilized than Nvidia for OS X, for the record OS X loves AMD more than Nvidia when it come to GPU but the trick is to pick the right one, no Nvidia web driver is stable as OS X build-in driver for AMD is, seriously no compression there.

There is a fair enough list of out of the box compatible AMD GPUs, but I don't know in which level you want to take your machine, as for R9 380 is not originally compatible but still there is a work around to make the system to recognize it, I think you need to install Whatevergreen and Lilu kexts for it, make sure because I never had R9 380.

For the motherboard I don't know but it should be also compatible with some BIOS changes, all the rest hardware you have are 100% good to install OS X.

• 2 weeks later...

Your ASMedia USB port may not be working, I'm not sure about that but there's some kext help you to fix it.

Audio ALC1150 = good

Killer™ E2400 Gigabit LAN controller = good

i7-6700k = good

AMD GPU = idk!

If you want to dual-boot with Windows 10, you don't have to worry about it. Also, you should use ssd for macOS

• 5 months later...
On 10/28/2017 at 4:40 PM, piiggggg said:

Your ASMedia USB port may not be working, I'm not sure about that but there's some kext help you to fix it.

Audio ALC1150 = good

Killer™ E2400 Gigabit LAN controller = good

i7-6700k = good

AMD GPU = idk!

If you want to dual-boot with Windows 10, you don't have to worry about it. Also, you should use ssd for macOS

I thank you for the info, i put this on hold for a while tried on a laptop... Laptop is {censored} and if anything will part it out or something, as for the build i currently have i am looking to continue this project. Just having issues locating a proper High Sierra 10.13.X dmg, the ones i had didnt have the proper setup files to do the process. So need to put on hold until i manage to locate the proper setup/install files with dmg.