[Guide] GA-Z87X-D3H - High Sierra Clean Install

StriderXS

7 posts in this topic

High Sierra (Clean) Install Instructions with Intel HDMI Audio, USB 3.0, and Sensors working.

Before we start I would like to say this: A simple thank you and respect to Toleda and Rehabman does not even begin to describe my gratitude since without their fantastic work none of this would be possible. Not only they've created some essential files but also their guides give us a much clearer understanding of how our system works. 

My system is a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H with a Haswell Intel 4770K CPU, I use the integrated Intel HD 4600 GPU (as I don't play games) connected via the MoBo's HDMI to my monitor, 16 GB of DDR3-1600 RAM and an SSD. I realise that most people use more modern and advanced systems but I want to believe that the basics are the same, so this is more like a guideline than an "exactly-what-to-do" guide. I really hope that the following steps work for you as they worked for me since I know what a struggle it can be to setup a fully working system. What I came up with is the result of two full weeks of intense reading, searching the internet, lots of re-installations and countless tries.

I would also like to mention that I made this guide as newbie-friendly as possible (you still need some knowledge and experience to get through most things), so I ask the patience of the real veterans out there.

Having said that let's begin.

Necessary Files and Programs

With a simple search on the internet you should have no problem finding the following components:

- Clover.pkg

- USBInjectAll.kext

- AppleIntelE1000e.kext

- Clover Configurator.app

- Kext Utility.app

- PlistEdit Pro.app

- IOJones.app

- Rehabman-FakeSMC(2017-0607)

- audio_CloverALC-master (folder)

- graphics_Intel_framebuffers-master (folder)

- ssdt_hdmi-hd4600 (folder) *Use respectively for your IntelHD Graphics

Create a High Sierra Install USB

You need a working Mac for this procedure.

Step 1 - Have a USB stick of at least 8GB. Make sure you don't have anything you may need on it since it's going to be completely wiped.

Step 2 - Using DiskUtility erase the USB stick naming it USB and use MacOS Extended (Journaled) file system and GUID scheme. (It is important to name the USB Stick "USB" as we use this name in the command line later on.

Step 3 - Download High Sierra from the AppStore and leave the installer in the Applications folder. It is important not to move it since we use this path in the command line later on. If it auto-starts right after download simply close the program.

Step 4 - Open Terminal and Copy-Paste the following:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app

It's going to take a while so be patient.

Step 5 - Once the bootable USB has been created open Clover and install it on the USB.

It really is a matter of chance if Clover's default configuration will work or not. Most probably you will run into errors, halts or kernel panicks. Unfortunately the only solution here is to check the error message or where your system hangs, check it on the internet and try to make the necessary adjustments. I personally found that the best way for my system to work is at this point to follow the instructions from "Post Installation - Step 2". Also MAKE SURE that in EFI/Clover/DriverUEFI64 exists the apfs.efi file, otherwise the disk with the APFS file system will not be recognised.

Step 6 - Reboot.

BIOS Settings

- Memory XMP Profile 1 (Otherwise my RAM is clocked lower at 1333MHz)

- SATA Mode -> AHCI

- Initial Display Output -> IGFX

- Intel Processor Graphics -> Enabled

- Fast Boot -> Disabled

- Limit CPUID Maximum -> Disabled

- Execute Disable Bit -> Enabled

- Intel Virtualisation Technology -> Disabaled

- Windows 8 Features -> Other OS

- Secure Boot -> Disabaled

- Serial Port -> Disabled

- Intel Processor Memory Allocation -> 1024M

- DVMT Total Memory Size -> MAX

- XHCI Mode -> Smart Auto

- Audio Controller -> Enabled

- Legacy USB Support -> Enabled

- USB 3.0 Support -> Enabled

- XHCI Hand-off -> Enabled

- EHCI Hand-off -> Enabled (Does not make a difference either way)

Some Clean Install Notes

I found (the hard way) that in order to completely clean a disk for a fresh install, a simple Erase in the DiskUtility app is not enough as in most cases it will only clean the working volume leaving the EFI Volume untouched. I also find useful to also clean the boot options from the disk because if I don't and try to select the boot volume from my BIOS it will also give me options for previous OSs that are no longer present. So, here are the steps that I take:

Step 1 - After Installing High Sierra on a USB disk along with Clover, I dump a folder with all my necessary files on the USB so I can work from it directly. Just make sure you have everything you need before installation. I then boot from the USB and immediately go to Clover's Shell. In the Shell I type bcfg boot dump which gives me all the boot entries currently installed. Usually I see 2 entries for the SSD and 1 for the USB with the numbers 00, 01, and 02 respectively. Then I remove all the SSD entries by typing bcfg boot rm 00 twice. BE VERY CAREFUL in this step. When you remove the entry 00 then immediately the entry 01 becomes 00 and the 02 becomes 01. I suggest typing bcfg boot dump after every bcfg boot rm XX you type so that you see what you are about to remove. NEVER remove the USB's boot entry. I only clean the SSD. It goes without saying that I don't use multiple systems on the same disk, but if you do make sur you don't remove the other system's boot entry.

Step 2 - When in the first installation screen I go to the DiskUtility app and either press [Cmd]+[2] (or in our case [WinKey]+[2]) or go to the panel (bar at the top of the screen) and select View -> Show All Devices. Then I select the SSD Device (the whole device, not just the Volume) and I erase it as MSDOS with MBR. This takes care of completely removing the EFI partition. The I hit Erase again, this time using MacOs Extended (Journaled) with a GUID scheme. If the option of MBR or GUID does not appear or if an error pops up (which usually happens if the Volume is formatted as APFS) then select the Volume instead of the Device and format it as MSDOS. Then it will give you the option to select and format the Device as MSDOS and continue with the MacOs Extended.

VERY IMPORTANT: Apple does not say this but DO NOT format the drive as APFS because after the first reboot it is not going to be recognised by the bootloader. For me this was true even in my actual iMac. Select MacOs Extended (Journaled) and the installator will change it to APFS during its procedure.

If you want to do something different with the Volume and the EFI, leave the DiskUtility and at the panel select Utilities -> Terminal. Then type diskutil list to get a full list of the devices in your system. You will probably see a lot since they are necessary for the installation, but try to find the one that corresponds to the SSD (or the HDD) by looking at the size. In my case it is disk0 so I type diskutil mountDisk disk0. This loads both the working and the EFI volume of the disk so I can work with them from the Diskutil app.

Step 3 - Leave the Diskutil app and proceed with the Installation.

Post Installation

At this point most people would advice running Clover and installing it on the SSD. I follow a different procedure.

Step 1 - I mount the EFI Partitions for both the SSD and the USB and I open them. Here I see that the SSD's EFI has a folder named Apple while the USB's EFI has 2 folders: Boot and Clover. I then copy the Boot & Clover folders to the SSD's EFI alongside the Apple folder. I then go to Clover/Kexts/other and remove all kexts leaving only FakeSMC.kext necessary for initialisation), AppleIntelE1000e.kext (for internet) and USBInjectAll.kext for USB port mapping. Also MAKE SURE that in EFI/Clover/DriverUEFI64 exists the apfs.efi file, otherwise the disk with the APFS file system will not be recognised.

Step 2 - I go to Clover folder and open config.plist using Clover Configurator. There I UN-check EVERYTHING leaving only the bare minimum and essential for the system to run (see below). 

A lot of people will disagree with this tactic but I think that Clover uses some defaults so it can run on most machines. From my experience having unnecessary things checked creates more problems than it solves. It's ok to have them in order to have as much compatibility to get your system up and running but from there on I find my system much more stable if it has only what it needs. For example a really weird thing is that this is the only way I could get my USB 3.0 to work properly. I tried every method I found on the internet and it didn't work. Once I cleaned clover.plist, having USBInjectAll.kext in the folder I mentioned made everything work out of the box. From there it may take a few reboots to see what you REALLY need. If you run into a Kernel Panic or a Halt just check the message and search on the internet where it corresponds. In my case I found that the system won't boot unless I have the MATTS Table Dropped. For you it could be different.

Here's a list of the only things checked in the config.plist from the Clover Configurator:

- Acpi -> Drop Tables: MATS

- Boot -> -v -dart=0 -kext-dev-mode=1 rootles=0 XMPDetection=YES

- Devices -> Audio Inject=1

- Gui -> Scan: (Entries, Tool, Legacy [First]), Language: En, Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

- Kernel and Kext Patches -> Apple RTC, Kernel PM, AppleIntelCPUPM

Kexts To Patch:

1) Name: AppleAHCIPort / Find: 45787465 726e616c / Replace: 496e7465 726e616c / Comment: External icons patch

2) Name: AppleUSBXHCIPCI / Find: 83bd8cfe ffff10 / Replace: 83bd8cfe ffff1f / Comment: Raise 15 port limit to 30 in AppleUSBXHCIPCI

- Rt Variables -> CsrActiveConfig: 0x67

- System Parameters -> Inject kexts: Yes, Inject System ID

Enable Intel HD 4600 HDMI Audio

Step 1 - Go to ssdt_hdmi-hd-4600+ folder and copy SSDT-HDMI-HD4600+ file into /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched (if the ACPI/patched folder does not exist create it but keep case sensitive.

Step 2 - If you haven't already, go to Clover Configurator -> RT Variables -> CsrActiveConfig and set it to 0x67 and reboot to take effect. This will disable the System Integrity Protection (SIP) which is necessary for the next step.

Step 3 - For this step it is necessary for the EFI partition to be mounted. Then go to audio_CloverALC-master and execute audio_cloverALC-130_v0.1.command (or newer if available) and enter the choices it asks for.

Step 4 - This step requires a little bit of digging. Open IOJones.app and find "IGPU@2". In that tree you will find "AppleIntelFramebuffer@0, @1, and @2. Select each one and look on the right table (last lines) for the "Properties Table". My system showed 0x5, 0x6 and 0x0 respectively meaning that the two ports were being used but not the last one, which corresponds perfectly to my system as it only has 1 DVI and 1 HDMI port. Now make note of which port is being used and for what. For example I was using the HDMI and under "AppleIntelFrameBuffer@1" there was an indication "display 0" meaning that port 1 (the HDMI port) was connected to a display. When I connected a monitor to the MoBo's DVI port I got the "display 0" under "AppleIntelFrameBuffer@0".

Step 5 - Now open the "graphics_Intel_framebuffers-master" folder and open the README.txt. Inside you will find a table of possible variations. Check which one corresponds to your system. Mine was "c" since at 0x5 was the DVI port, at 0x6 was the HDMI port and at 0x7 was ND (No Display). So copy the file "graphics_intel_hd5k-azul-X-90_patch.command" (where X is the lettter of your setup) to the "Downloads" folder and execute it. Reboot. It is mentioned here that there is no sound control when the output is the HDMI because it's supposed to be taken care of by the monitor, which works perfect for me. There are workarounds for that but I haven't had the need to add it to my system.

Enable Sensors

Step 1 - Delete FakeSMC.kext from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other

Step 2 - Go to RehabMan-FakeSMC and Show Package Contents of FakeSMC.kext. Go in Contents and create a folder named Plugins. Copy files FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext, FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext, FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext in Plugins folder.

Step 3 - Use KextUtility to install the modified FakeSMC.kext

Step 4 - Reboot.

Make sure that all the mentioned files come from the same source meaning that I advice using the files in RehabMan's folder because there are a lot of variations of FakeSMC.kext and if they are incompatible you may run into errors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi! Thanks for the guide! I have the same board and will consider the upgrade ;).

About the USB 3.0 working properly, I managed to fix it in Sierra following this great tutorial:

success-fadis96s-perfect-z87x-d3h-i7-4770k-nvidia-gtx-780-el-capitan-osx-10-11-4.193639

It's not yet perfect to me as not always works for me, but he says it works perfect for him so maybe you're another lucky one ;)

• 1 month later...