Semthex/DaemonES Kernel Differences

123steamn

5 posts in this topic

First, I wanted to say thanks to all those working hard, perfecting new kernels.

Does anyone know the difference between the DaemonES and Semthex kernels?

If I run the exact same system but replace the kernels only, the DaemonES kernel is fine, but the Semthex

kernel causes the machine to freeze (usb mouse freezes) about 5 seconds after the full desktop appears.

I've tried the IOUSBFamily-261.4.2 replacement and it didn't work, besides many other kext replacement

and framework replacement files.

Would like to test both kernels if possible

Any suggestions most appreciated

thanks again

kaos

There are much diffrence between the kernel, semthex got much more improvments:

Semthex

- much more compatible to every hardware, even AMD works fine

- reboots correctly

- runs smoth on vmware

- has iTunes fixes for AMD

- suppports some older driver

- very good and friendly support

- stable as a rock

- accepts suggestions from users for improvments and adds them quick

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I was hoping for something more specific.

If it helps, this is feedback from a kernel debugging script using the same system. Only change was the kernel.

Only difference I see is Semthex kernel "enables INTEL features" on line 4.

Mifki kernel:

"DetectFSB_NonClocked() family f, model 4

DetectFSB_NonClocked() family f, model 4

Bus freq: 200000000

on line 4-6

thanks

semthex.txt

mifki.txt

First, I wanted to say thanks to all those working hard, perfecting new kernels.

Does anyone know the difference between the DaemonES and Semthex kernels?

If I run the exact same system but replace the kernels only, the DaemonES kernel is fine, but the Semthex

kernel causes the machine to freeze (usb mouse freezes) about 5 seconds after the full desktop appears.

I've tried the IOUSBFamily-261.4.2 replacement and it didn't work, besides many other kext replacement

and framework replacement files.

Would like to test both kernels if possible

Any suggestions most appreciated

thanks again

kaos

Sorry I don't know much about the specifics of the differences between the kernels. I believe they use different methods to autodetect things about your hardware - eg whether you use nx, hpet and all that stuff.

I have heard that some motherboards have problems with the "usb fix" package from the 10.4.8 Jas dvd. For instance my asus p5w-dh does not need it. So it should only be used if you are having problems with usb. See this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...2749&hl=usb

Sounds like you may have already tried this, but if you selected the usb fix package when installing 10.4.8, you could get the original IOUSBFamily.kext from the Apple MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.8Intel.dmg and install that, or alternatively try the "usb fix" package from the Jas dvd.

Other than that, have you tried getting more recent Semthex kernels than the one on the dvd? I expect you probably have since you are using a DaemonES kernel and that is not on the dvd. Just though I would ask.

Good Luck,

Fabcat