Mac build with mac parts...

BmyT

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Recently I've been wanting to get into this OSx86 business, but the thing is I want to try something different...

Instead of trying to get the OS to ignore BIOS, I was thinking of perhaps going with an EFI motherboard.

More preciecly, an Intel Mac Mini logic board with EFI.

It's basically a part I purchased from a buddy's who's Mac Mini took a plunge (after he'd voided warranty of course :poster_oops: )

He got rid of a lot of parts and basically had the Airport card and Motherboard left case was intact, but the top cover was MIA :pirate2:

So here I am with a genuine (hopefully working) Mac logic board (which I belive is Socket M, though I may be wrong).

I intend on:

1. Mounting it in a mini-ITX case

2. Using an appropraite CPU (any Socket M)

3. Installing OSX Tiger

In theory this should work right? I'm using a genuine Apple mobo with a properly seated CPU.

The only issues I can think of are the PSU (what kind of connection does this take?) and CD drive compatibility.

Anyone have comments or suggestions before I start looking more into it?

EDIT: Or I can just go with a $300 brand new Mac Mini G4 being offered by my company...tempting.

Hey hiroo,

thanks for the link!!!

I figured swapping out the CPU wouldn't be too much of a pain.

But I really have no idea what kind of PSU hook up this mobo has, becuase I litreally just have a bare bones board. I can tell where SATA goes, IDE doesn't seem too different...

I'll need to dig around some more.

Thanks!!!